• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

745 Turbo to 245 engine swap

skastel

Ok so I'm considering buying a 745 Turbo for $300, I think it's an '86, but I need to double check. Anyway the 745 has 190k on it :?. My B230 has 208k but it's flawless mechanically :D. Should I even bother with a transplant? Would it be worth it to go through the trouble of the transplant for the extra power? 190k is a lot, and I'm not sure what condition it's in.
Also, having never done an engine transplant before would it be wise for me to have ti done professionaly or could I work my way through it.
BTW I'm pretty mechanically inclined, as long as I have some idea of what I'm doing I can figure out most things.

So what exactly is bad about the 745 which is preventing you from just driving it instead? 190k miles isn't jack on a Volvo, turbo or not. There are plenty of 200 and 700 series turbos with 300,000 miles on them. They require a bit more maintanence but the speed factor is definitely worth it.

I personally wouldn't bother swapping in the engine.

It just depends on just how much you like your 245. If it's in extremely nice shape, you really like it, and your new 745 isn't so pretty, I would swap engines. If you are concerned about the 745 Turbo motor, why not rebuild it? If you are capable of an engine swap, you are certainly capable of rebuilding it. It's really not all that hard. Find a good machine shop, and IPD sells all the parts you will need. They even have complete kits. I am personally converting my 80' 245 DL, which I like very much, into a turbo. I have a complete and running 83 244 GLT donor car that I got for $100. Mechanically, it's very sound with lots of new parts, but looks very bad. I even drove it 350 miles home from where I bought it.

So, I would do it. Don't be afraid to learn something new. With the right tools, it can be done. Just don't forget about the suspension. Good luck!

Back