home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #76
Funkee
Board Member

Made brackets for the engine mounts. I ordered some cheap rubber mounts (both pass side) from Rockauto, I'll eventually go with diesel or poly.
I'll make some solid ones first to be sure of absolute correct fitment.
I'll also add a torque arm, still gotta figure out where.

Machined recesses to access the bolts, and for water drainage.

Welded in a tube for steering shaft clearance. I bought a power rack a while ago which is a lot sleaker than the manual rack, so it will clear easily.

Pizza and chocolate milk is a man's shop fuel right?

The passenger side is going to be welded (now just spotted for fitment), drivers side is bolted onto the original boltholes (even used the studs I pressed out of the old mounts )

Made plates for the engine, hope to make the engine fit later this or next week.

Funkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #77
Funkee
Board Member

I might better start a 940 daily topic.. had some issues with it not running properly, sweetish smell, lots of steam coming from the exhaust manifold and within a couple of days the matching ripped exhaust gasket noise.
So with the little time I have I pulled the engine (suspect HG but also headwork to be done with 500K kms) and swapped a fresher one (244K).
Only I didn't know the manifold was cracked, so I'm still looking for one, hope to pick one up tomorrow and meanwhile fabricate a new one myself till the temporary one fails. I called every Volvo guy in the country but they all laughed at me trying to find an uncracked one..

Due to the blown HG the crack presumably got bigger faster.

Fresh engine

But on the bright side, we got a new lathe for dirt cheap. It's covered in gunk but after a thorough cleaning all the tracks and beds look almost new

IMG_8851 by Easy Rosay, on Flickr
Old 07-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #78
Funkee
Board Member

Took the engine out couple of times, did some other stuff here and there on the car and other ones, yada yada.

Last couple of days I built the motor mounts and trans mount, tried to figure out where the shifter goes, some measuring concerning the (still to obtain) radiator and IC, etc.

Still have to put in the power rack, but that will clear the motor mount much better than the manual.

To make the M90 fit the trans member was hardly a challenge, I used the center pair of mounting holes in the frame rails and whipped up some plates, a tube and some holes and welded it in place, want way easier than expected

I thought I wanted to shorten the shifter linkage but after some test fitting and sitting I decided not to. I'm pretty tall so the seat will be quite far back as well (I even lenghten most seat rails usually )
It will take quite some modding though to clear the hand brake better and fit the transmission tunnel.

I used diesel motor mounts by the way, and a 940 front control arm bushing for the transmission support.

Theoretically I could go to the RDW (DMV) to have the 6 cylinder inspected and assigned to the car, so that's one major to do for this summer.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #79
MikeSr.
Finish it, Flounder

I have the idea to put the engine back as far as possible, (maybe weld a wheel barrow in the firewall)

Gale Banks lives!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #80
Funkee
Board Member

Haha