• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Center support

Drunk_Babies

I've noticed a vibration in my steering wheel at 55mph+, got my tires balanced but no change.

There is quite a bit of up and down play in my driveshaft at the center support - could my driveshaft be bouncing around too much at speed?
Also, is there supposed to be anything in the hole in the center of the center support cross member?

Pics and video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/181KjHCo9F9gN96ZKH3UTv08LytTTCLR7?usp=sharing

If anyone has other ideas as to what could be causing my vibration please share.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've noticed a vibration in my steering wheel at 55mph+, got my tires balanced but no change.

There is quite a bit of up and down play in my driveshaft at the center support - could my driveshaft be bouncing around too much at speed?
Also, is there supposed to be anything in the hole in the center of the center support cross member?

Pics and video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/181KjHCo9F9gN96ZKH3UTv08LytTTCLR7?usp=sharing

If anyone has other ideas as to what could be causing my vibration please share.

Thanks!

Bent wheels still balance out, could be an issue here.
Link not working for me :(

Hmm... doesn't look great but doesn't look bad.
Usually a failing center support bearing screams like a jet engine and changes pitch with road speed.
I would try putting front wheels on the back, while you're at it shake all the front end components looking for something worn out.

Hmm... doesn't look great but doesn't look bad.
Usually a failing center support bearing screams like a jet engine and changes pitch with road speed.
I would try putting front wheels on the back, while you're at it shake all the front end components looking for something worn out.

Swapping wheels didn't seem to make a difference. :(

I did find that both my front wheel bearings have play in them, right front is pretty sloppy. Not making any noise yet though. I'll replace them and see what happens. One of my wheels is also dented but I wouldn't think enough to cause this amount of vibration. How bad does a wheel have to be bent to be an issue? Hard to find a clear answer on that one

It seems like when I'm going at highway speeds and I either hit a bump or switch lanes it will vibrate for a little bit and then settle down..weird. Seeing as it comes and goes I'm thinking the amount of play in my wheel bearings is allowing the wheels to vibrate back and forth going down the road?

Swapping wheels didn't seem to make a difference. :(

I did find that both my front wheel bearings have play in them, right front is pretty sloppy. Not making any noise yet though. I'll replace them and see what happens. One of my wheels is also dented but I wouldn't think enough to cause this amount of vibration. How bad does a wheel have to be bent to be an issue? Hard to find a clear answer on that one

It seems like when I'm going at highway speeds and I either hit a bump or switch lanes it will vibrate for a little bit and then settle down..weird. Seeing as it comes and goes I'm thinking the amount of play in my wheel bearings is allowing the wheels to vibrate back and forth going down the road?

1/8" / 3mm is the Volvo spec for allowable runout.

Our last Volvo that we bought,[March '20] had a lot of play in the drive flange on the trans [automatic], wicked vibration @ 55mph. Got a new flange, but with the covid-19 we haven't put it on the road yet

Back