• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Crazy fuel issues

Handey87

I've been having some problems lately, have made a few threads, and basically my car just keeps running worse and worse, richer and richer, and I'm going crazy trying to find the fault. I've got mild mods, nothing crazy, stock LH2.4, 15g, browntops, ipd cam, it's been reasonably maintained, new plugs, wires, dizzy in the past year so ignition should be fine. AEM wideband is how I'm reading the AFRs.

So here's what's up: About a month ago, I noticed my afrs during cruise would stay around 14.3 or so, then kick back over to closed loop, weirder **** started happening, like it seemed like it was in closed loop but it would swing between 14.3 and 14.8 AFR, on the rich side of things. Then my AMM died, and the car just would not run. Swapped that and the FPR out, and it was running okay. Over time sometimes I'd cruise and it would be spot on, then I'd get afr's of like 14.2 steady.

Yesterday I used electrical contact cleaner on a few plugs the tps, amm, and knock sensor, and it ran perfect all the way home, a 65 mile trip. This morning it started running in open loop during cruise on the highway, so before lunch I checked and cleaned a few more connections, o2 sensor, ECT, and looked for vacuum leaks. Found a leaky injector seal, and swapped all the injectors. In a frantic attempt to remedy this over the last month I've done the following:

Replaced/swapped out:
Injectors for stock and back again
3 AMMs
560 ecu to a 96x ecu and back
new knock sensor
new ECT
new bosch O2 sensor
new FPR

done:
checked every connector I could find under the hood, pulled them apart and cleaned them.

What it's doing after lunchtime today: It'll start cold just fine, but after a few minutes, the AFRs will start dropping steadily, eventually reaching 10.0 just as I was getting home. It was running pretty bad by then. Once the engine is up to temp, it'll kind of get into closed loop for maybe half a minute, then the afr's start steadily dropping again until the engine runs worse and worse. This is when I swapped the injectors, amm, ecu. No change.

Long post I know, but I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with this car, I'm really hoping someone has had the same issue and could help.

I've been having some problems lately, have made a few threads, and basically my car just keeps running worse and worse, richer and richer, and I'm going crazy trying to find the fault. -SNIP-
Yesterday I used electrical contact cleaner on a few plugs the tps, amm, and knock sensor, and it ran perfect all the way home, a 65 mile trip. This morning it started running in open loop during cruise on the highway, so before lunch I checked and cleaned a few more connections, o2 sensor, ECT, and looked for vacuum leaks. Found a leaky injector seal, and swapped all the injectors. In a frantic attempt to remedy this over the last month I've done the following:
Replaced/swapped out:
Injectors for stock and back again
3 AMMs
560 ecu to a 96x ecu and back
new knock sensor
new ECT
new bosch O2 sensor
new FPR
done:
checked every connector I could find under the hood, pulled them apart and cleaned them.
-SNIP-

*now* it's time to do the PIN OUT TESTS...download the "bible" I sent the URL
for the LAST TIME I *chimed in* - get out your DVOM and start tracing / recording
what the ECU is seeing.....the fact that you've got a "GOOD 65 mile drive *POST
first CLEANING* means that either one of the connections you cleaned is NOT
SNUG and has "gone floopy on ya" or there is BRAK IN A WIRE INSIDE THE
INSULATION whre it isn't "plainly visible"

DO THE PIN OUTS AND WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU FIND (don't forget that
you *CAN* "back probe" w/the "huge arsed connector COVER removed"
from the ECU "clamp in place gazillion pin connector"//you NEED TO SEE THE
SIGNAL VALUES *AT* THE COMPUTER CONNECTION....

if yer nto sure how to do the "pin out testing" DON'T GET IN THERE AND MESS
W?THE GOODS (the WIRES and TERMINALS are subject to nastiness as it is -
they don't need no "slash and burn attacks"

the ECU stuff *IS DRY* IINIT??? there have been MANY who've suffered the reult
of CLOGGED COWL DRAINS leading to CORROSION on the COMPUTER BLOCK
you NEED to verify the MAIN CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND DRY..

I *suspect* a trashed wire under bonnet....do the pin outs (and do them LIVE)...if
one or more show intermittant PING ME and come get my *FAULT TRACER*
so you can find the DEAD SPOT IN THE HARNESS....

http://www.gtc.ca/EN/FF310_EN.html (this is the CURRENT ITERATION..
I have "gen 1" of this tool)

here's the Harbour Freight version: http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

I also have the proverbial SHlTLOAD of electrical testers....hmmmmmm:cool:

Back