• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spark Plugs

Marvelous3

Who engineered this?
Over the weekend I've got plans set up to fix my coolant temp sensor that has had me running rich for oh about six months. I was thinking I maybe should put new plugs in it as the ones in there now are probably loaded with carbon deposites from the richness.

Which brings me to wonder what plugs you guys would think would be good? I was thinking of going with maybe a hotter plug?

Engine is more or less stock '90 b230f with b cam. I pulled the pre-heat hose out and epoxied the pre-heat hose hole closed and pulled out all of the foam and other **** that was in the air box.

If you were running rich for a while, you will feel a difference with a plug change. As far as what type of plug, I have found NGK coppers are nice, relatively cheap too. A stock B230f, even with a B cam, won't gain from "hotter" spark plugs, especially if you are running stock wires and coil. And more spark won't do you much with the that amount of air and fuel. But thats just $.02.

BTW, did you instal an adjustable gear as well, if so, how far advanced did you set it?

yeah, same question here, mine were old and i threw in some extra turbo plugs, but i'd like to get something that is better suited for the awesome power of a b230f

one vote for NGK coppers, anyone else?

I would go a step hotter than stock turbo plugs, Bpr6es, or autolite 64 or 65's. But new plugs by themselves will probably pick the car up a bit. might do to replace cap and rotor at the same time, its only like $7 on a 240.

I've always ran the BPR7ES plugs, they've been good to me but I've always had some other minor issues with my car (not plug related). The last time I had them in they fouled up badly, but again it wasn't the plugs fault.

I think the car is decently sorted now, so I'm going to try NGK BPR6EY V-grooves since they don't have the "traditional plug" in stock. I'll see how it goes, have a trip to make this weekend.

BPR6ES for a hotter plug, or BPR7ES for a cooler plug, I suspect on a NA you could even go a 5, on highly worked turbo I remember a few guys using 8's.

With the NGK, always try to find/buy the singular boxed plugs, they seem better quality than the multi blister packs, which I'm not sure are are still made in japan.

Recently on the 745T I actually fitted BPR6ES, it's still like stock boost etc, and I was finding the 7's giving poor cold running, which sucks for me because from stone cold I have a steep long driveway and mt road to drive down, it's now doing that better with the 6's, and so far no problems with the rest of my driving.

Copper plugs, $1.50 each, and don't bother checking the gap...just install them and throw the old ones away.

Back