home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #151
stick70
All the gauges

That switch panel looks good, not out of place at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #152
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
That switch panel looks good, not out of place at all.
Thanks, I think it blends pretty well.

I changed the switch arrangement slightly to accommodate the the overdrive toggle and indicator to give it priority on the panel and also so the OD light would be more in my line of sight.

1966 Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #153
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Little photo dump from the weekend. Put another couple hundred miles on it up and down the coast. Had a great response at the local cars and coffee, lots of stories and questions were shared. The nice thing about finishing up this project was purging and cleaning out my workshop which took me the better part of Saturday and Sunday but now my space feels less chaotic. It's nice going from restoration to maintenance mode. Last picture is both my toys together. Enjoy!

Last edited by R32RennSport; 10-07-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #154
matt b
Board Member

If you ever want to mimick the Volvo 123GT tach without spending $300-$450, look at Smiths tachs on Ebay. They were on many British cars and can be scored cheap.

I love that last pic, makes me miss my last Amazon. Those front ends are just perfect.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #155
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Thanks! I looked into the Smith's (there is even a local British retailer that stocks them) but the Autometer was close enough, very affordable and is very accurate/responsive. I don't need to be 100% accurate here, this is just my interpretation of what a Volvo should be obviously.

Yeah, nothing beats this front end, even the early first versions are not as nice in my opinion. I think Volvo nailed the proportions and look with this one.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #156
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Sent the car down for a new headliner, roof insulation, wind lace, and had the front two seats webbed and lower cushions firmed up. Interior stuff doesn't interest me, I rather leave that to guys who do it every day.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #157
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Sent the car down for a new headliner, roof insulation, wind lace, and had the front two seats webbed and lower cushions firmed up. Interior stuff doesn't interest me, I rather leave that to guys who do it every day.

Who did that?

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #158
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Who did that?
Had a local shop who has a reputation for trimming older cars. It wasn't cheap but in the industry we all know you get what you pay for. I justify it this way, it's literally the first time I've let anyone work on the car in 8 years.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #159
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Had a local shop who has a reputation for trimming older cars.
Which shop? Mitch's Stitches?
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #160
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Which shop? Mitch's Stitches?
You nailed it.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:20 AM   #161
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Interior stuff doesn't interest me, I rather leave that to guys who do it every day.
Well chosen. Of all the tasks where it's easy to detect a freshman effort, a cloth headliner is one of the least forgiving. Practice makes perfect, and lack of it shows off how quickly the skills get rusty. To me, shooting paint is almost as demanding. I'll stick with electrical (easy) and mechanical (fun). There are plenty of folks who enjoy the other tasks, so it's nice to be able to share the wealth.

What kind of roof insulation? Thinsulate?

Looking good!
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #162
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
Well chosen. Of all the tasks where it's easy to detect a freshman effort, a cloth headliner is one of the least forgiving. Practice makes perfect, and lack of it shows off how quickly the skills get rusty. To me, shooting paint is almost as demanding. I'll stick with electrical (easy) and mechanical (fun). There are plenty of folks who enjoy the other tasks, so it's nice to be able to share the wealth.

What kind of roof insulation? Thinsulate?

Looking good!
Thanks, I'd like to think I know how to pick my battles.

For roof insulation I used some 170mm high density self adhesive backed insulating foam sheets from Noico. I used there sound deadening mat for the floors as well. Best bang for your buck, get it off Amazon.

I had them spray the roof with adhesive after removing the remnants of the original stuff just to make sure it stays put. Definitely a huge improvement over what was there before, very noticeable. Curious to see what a difference it will make when it gets warm out again. Thinking about clear ceramic tinting all the windows next to protect the interior and reduce cabin temps further. I'm going crazy on this stuff because the car is black and I have driven it out to the desert on a 95+ degree day and it was absolutely miserable.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #163
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

I finally got through the thread. Nice build, I'm definitely thinking I'll put a cable throttle on my 122 with twin 45s, even with stiff engine mounts the throttle input can be jumpy.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #164
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ View Post
I finally got through the thread. Nice build, I'm definitely thinking I'll put a cable throttle on my 122 with twin 45s, even with stiff engine mounts the throttle input can be jumpy.
Thanks! You won't regret doing a cable throttle, you just have to be creative in how to set it up.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #165
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Time for a quick update. I've completed around 800 miles now on the car. A few longer drives and a bunch of commuting to and from work. On a related note I changed over my liability insurance to Hagerty for a stated value of $15k, didn't want all my hard work to go down the drain if I get clobbered. It was quick and easy and surprisingly affordable.

I had a coolant leak come up early on from the transfer pipe not sealing great which I fixed with a new seal, but it compromised my drive belt so I replaced that. Next and the more serious of the bunch is my head gasket never sealed properly after the whole ARP head bolt debacle which I sorted out with a stud conversion. I knew reusing the contaminated gasket was a risk even though it hadn't compressed so here I am, looks like I'll be replacing it. No coolant loss and great compression but I have a pretty good oil leak after every drive that puddles down by the starter. I'll check the block and head surfaces just to make sure but I find it kind of odd I'm only having an issue on the cold side. Third issue that has cropped up is the overdrive has failed. It was great for awhile and then after a few minutes would start surging and drop out. After much trouble shooting and inspection I've determined the operating pistons have failing seals and will be getting upgraded to the later M46 J Type style pistons.

Overall I'm enjoying the car and knew there would be issues to work out along the way which I'm sure will be sorted by the end of the year. I still have a few unfinished projects hanging over from the initial overhaul as well such as finishing the floor sound insulation and carpet as well as hooking up the driving lights (which will definitely come in handy since we've moved into eternal darkness aka daylight savings).
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #166
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Just enjoying it today.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #167
stick70
All the gauges

Love this car. Glad you've got is sorted and are enjoying it.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #168
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Love this car. Glad you've got is sorted and are enjoying it.
It's especially fun baiting people on my morning commute. Chill in the slow lane until a newer sports car passes by, then flick on the OD and fill their mirror at 80mph and watch them move over in surprise