• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thelostartof LH 2.4 Chip Feedback Thread

Mike asked me to post a review of his chips so here it is:

For years it has been my opinion that there are exactly two things actually ‘wrong’ with LH: The fuel enrichment when coming into boost and the rev-limiter. Mike has a chip set that addresses those two things so I finally bought a pair about a month ago: 6800 RPM fuel chip and a matched ignition chip.

Car made about 230 WHP based on the trap speed using the standard bolt ons: 19t turbo, e-bay IC, IPD cam, 2.5” exhaust, and brown top injectors w/ stock AMM and LH.

I won’t focus on the quarter-mile results or butt-dyno because I have not raced yet with these chips. I do expect some improvement in ET and consistency.

I instead would like to focus on the massively improved drivability of my car.

The boost onset enrichment is much better than stock. The only time the car hesitates even for a split second is if I do terrible things like downshift to second gear from cruise at 70 mph, grab instant boost at 6000 RPM, and pull to 6800 RPM before slamming into 3rd to pass the douchebag Audi in front of me doing 70 in the fast lane. So basically, I no longer have to concern myself with the knocksense light when grabbing low gears to spool the turbo instantly in traffic. Previously with the stock LH I had to roll the throttle just right or the ping at boost onset was emotionally crippling.

Having an extra 500 RPM has also vastly improved vehicle drivability. Previously having to shift at 6200 RPM with a power peak of like 6000 RPM and that wide 2-3 RPM gap was a massive annoyance. I was constantly bumping off the limiter accidentally causing the car to fall on its face. This has ruined many a drag run and made for some embarrassing passing maneuvers. Now with the extra 500 RPM there is no chance of that crap.

Between 6200 and 6800 the power starts to fall off naturally as I move past the power band of the cam, exhaust, head etc. (a good thing!) This means my eyes can stay on the road instead of on my tach. My time window for shifting has changed from impossible to a reasonable fraction of a second. And when I fall into the next gear I’m a few RPM higher and more in the power band.

Also, watching the tach bury deep into the red is incredibly entertaining for me and the sounds the motor makes at those RPM freaks out bystanders to no end.

So in summary, these chips have vastly improved the drivability and fun factor of my 940 turbo. I recommend them to anyone anywhere ever.

-Dana

Okay, followup.

I'm pretty much eliminated an air leak, if there is one, it's very small.

The car runs damn good, except for the idle. If I set it to stock & let the ECU via IAC & TPS handle it, it idles very low & lopey. So much so that if I snap the throttle it hesitates ever so briefly. If I adjust it to stock control, is that something that I should leave alone to let the ECU learn?

So, I try to adjust the idle but it's either too high or too low.

Also, I want to replace the stock ign coil. I get an occasional miss that I've deduced to be the coil. What is a decent performance fairly drop in replacement? I've heard the Crane PS-60 is good, anything I need to do to install it? Does it match the stock cables okay?

I'm also (still) waiting on an adjustable cam gear from RSI, what's a good starting point for cam advance on this? I was thinking somewhere between 2? & 5?. Thoughts?

TIA.

Okay, followup.

The car runs damn good, except for the idle. If I set it to stock & let the ECU via IAC & TPS handle it, it idles very low & lopey. So much so that if I snap the throttle it hesitates ever so briefly. If I adjust it to stock control, is that something that I should leave alone to let the ECU learn?

That really has to be a hardware setup issue. I had a cold O2 sensor cause a similar problem in the past. if that helps.

That really has to be a hardware setup issue. I had a cold O2 sensor cause a similar problem in the past. if that helps.

im getting the same idle issue with my RSI cam...not sure if its the K cam exhaust or something else...I might try a new O2 Sensor and see if that helps

hmmmmm! that's sparks of possibilities because I can adjust the idle one day (hot) & have it too fast the next (cold).

I use to have an idle that was all over the place and sometimes it would idle super low. Turns out it was my tps got one from pick-n-pull at pocket sized fee and slapped it on. I now have a steady idle and it sticks at ~700

Yeah and I did a 12.7, get on it. I might have been slightly tweeked from the cocktails all day long beforehand so I'm thinking swap on this 960 throttle body with yoshifab adapter and go draggin again and shoot for a 12.5.

2009_09_11_09_38_28.jpg

Now to fix the lines going to my charcol canister! I was happy that this thing pasted with 65lb injectors and a RSI cam :)

Looks like you failed the pressure test. Typical volvo driver...the agricultural dept of enviromental quality? See, fences where needed after all.

Did I forget to mention, I don't have to DEQ where I live... It's the old Jim Fisher estate. Straight pipes all around. Chillum. Did you see where Kettle came out with a new chip, Island Jerk they call it. Prison planet. I'm building a rocketship, volvo powered..

Last edited:
Yeah and I did a 12.7, get on it. I might have been slightly tweeked from the cocktails all day long beforehand so I'm thinking swap on this 960 throttle body with yoshifab adapter and go draggin again and shoot for a 12.5.

What is the current setup of your car? as in What go fast goodies are on it, and then what kind of boost are you running?

Also what did the time slip details look like? I am hoping to get back before the end of sept when I left for cali

Umm we'll lets see here.

89 744
93 B230ft 150k stock
84 162? turbo head with 8k RSI double valve springs.
RSI stage II tubo cam with biggest powerband in North America pulls to 7.5k.(They claim(They are RSI))
Dales underdrive two pulley front balancer pulley.
016 AMM in a real 3 inch tube...
75lb injectoids.
lightened lh2.4 dog dish flywheel
6 puck clutchnet ceramic disc rebuilt by local place.
Stock pressure plate.
overdrive 5 speedGetrag with RSI adapter
92 960 wagon 1041K 3.31 ratio moddified to lock up at any speed rear end.
16T turbo and ported 90 plus.
Big NPR intercooler.
I'm running about 20 pounds of boost on E85.
Stock exaust out the side with dodge truck resonator.

Soon I'll have the 960 throttle body with the yoshifab adapter.

Update, got the Yosifab 960 throttle body adapter on and working and it's even faster...

Also the car is stripped and gutted and scraped and molested.
The time slip is posted over there in that east never beat the west thread.

Currently running a custom tune to 7.5k on lh for e85 in the race car and I can do 45 in 5th and no luggin, but my 90 wagon I'm running your chips, and love them.

Last edited:
Crap, that ain't too far off my setup, aside from the slightly bigger turbo, bigger cam, more boost, and enough injector. Hopefully I'll be somewhat closer to your times once I get the fueling issue handled...

Probably won't beat my 13.9 for this year due to funds.

Back