• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spark plug wires

soclosenotnear

This is trivial I'm sure. 1995 944 turbo with wasted spark. I originally placed my Bosch coil where a 240 distributor lives so I could use factory 240 wires. The problem is 240 and 7/9 wires have different fittings. 7/9 wires "click" into place on the coil while 240 wires do not.

I was forced to relocate my coil pack. It's temporarily attached to my strut brace right over the valve cover. I need to find new plug wires that work better than the 240 wires or the old 940 wires I had that we're falling apart.

A new set of 7/9 wires will probably work ok. What brand works well? Volvo, bougicord, ngk? Also, size? Seems like stock is 7 mm but I see aftermarket unbranded options in 8 mm?

Last edited:
+2 on the Kingsborne's, got them on a couple of mine and know several others running them as well. Kingsborne will also do custom sets for you, different ends, lengths, boot styles, whatever, and they are easy to work with, located here in Cali. Had my wires in 4 days, including a custom coil wire.

FWIW, with the coil mounted on the driver side strut tower in a 7, with a block mount dizzy, yes, a 240 wireset works nicely.

I'm using junkyard found 7mm resistor wires with a 420A coil and resistor plugs making 367whp...

So, I wouldn't spend too much money on spark plug wires.

Watch out! You can easily out trick yourself in this area.

The current fad is replacing carbon core wires with "low resistance" spiral wound wires or even Copper strand wires.

Make sure you get a guarantee they won't interfere with the electronics.

I have it on good word that they don't work well with a MegaSquirt.

The marketing dweebs are playing on folks lack of understanding regarding high voltage behaviour.

Depends on brand I guess but I've got Accel's on the 140, running 100-500 ohms depending on length, fed by a wasted spark setup on MS1V3, and the Kingsborne's on the wagon caused no issues with MS, running 300-1k depending on length, fed by an MSD6A, BlasterSS, and at the time, MS2V3.

Back