• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock crankshaft retainer removal

poulrais

Anyone knows the correct pattern for unbolting the crankshaft retainer (Intermediate section) on a Whiteblock? I would guess I should go reverse from the installation torque specs but you never know... That's what I found for the installation torque specs and pattern:

Intermediate section
Tighten the screws in sequence from the center and outwards.
Stage 1 M10 20 Nm
Stage 2 M10 45 Nm
Stage 3 M8 24 Nm
Stage4M7 l7Nm
Stage 5 M10 angle-tighten 90?

So should I start by tightening off the M10 bolts starting from the edges to the center then the M7 and m8 bolts?

Start tightening from center like your text says. Just like cylinder head.

I need to untighten the retainer to remove the rods/pistons/crankshaft to send the block to the machine shop...

So what you say is that I loose the M10 bolts from the center to the edge then the M8 and I finish with the M7?

I was thinking of this when I answered:
So should I start by tightening off the M10 bolts starting from the edges to the center then the M7 and m8 bolts?
But did you mean to say untighten instead of tightening?

Always inverted order when taking apart. So start from the edges.

I was thinking of this when I answered:

But did you mean to say untighten instead of tightening?

Always inverted order when taking apart. So start from the edges.

Yes I wrote tightening off == untighten.

I will start from the edges.

Motor had around 160,000 km but it does look clean for a motor with that mileage! It had 180 compression on all 6 holes... I might run it like this with new crank and rod bearings + a reinforcement plate for the bores. Not planning on doing 800 hp right now. I'd be happy with 500 whp for now.

TvFTUdR.jpg

K1I1sAl.jpg

Thanks for the response!

First time seeing "tighten off" being used and couldn't find a translation or many places where it would have been used. So thought "off" had one f too much.

I've yet to see a bad crank bearing in a whiteblock. 6-cyl engines for example with 350000km have usually had flawless bearings. Lack of oil has been the only reason for damage so far. I usually use old bearings if they seem ok.

First time seeing "tighten off" being used and couldn't find a translation or many places where it would have been used. So thought "off" had one f too much.

I've yet to see a bad crank bearing in a whiteblock. 6-cyl engines for example with 350000km have usually had flawless bearings. Lack of oil has been the only reason for damage so far. I usually use old bearings if they seem ok.

Ok good to know! I'll leave the crank bearings in there then.

Back