• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New guy to turbo bricks!

rcdude

I have just purchased a volvo 940 with a b230ft. 110k on the clock. I am looking to build a fun car to drive daily. My target hp is at least 200. i would like to build it with the stock ecu, if possible.

Any ideas what to make the +35hp?
thanks.
Mike

so stock is about 5-6psi. if i jump to like 10psi how much hp gain we talking?

thanks mike

Before you go cranking the boost, do yourself and the car a favour and do a stage 0 first. Then you will have a good base to start with, and then you can begin turning the boost up. Get yourself a real calibrated boost gauge and a wideband if your budget can stretch.
Also your 940 should have a 13c, much more than ~12-14psi becomes kinda ineffective due to the turbo running out of its efficiency range.

Before you go cranking the boost, do yourself and the car a favour and do a stage 0 first. Then you will have a good base to start with, and then you can begin turning the boost up. Get yourself a real calibrated boost gauge and a wideband if your budget can stretch.
Also your 940 should have a 13c, much more than ~12-14psi becomes kinda ineffective due to the turbo running out of its efficiency range.

I am in the process of doing a stage zero right now. When I'm done with that, then I was going to tune her a bit. I'm just looking to stockpile some parts :)

When I am done with the stage zero, i'll put a boost gauge, mbc and bump it up.
Is that all I :)need?

Is the wideband a necessity?

I am in the process of doing a stage zero right now. When I'm done with that, then I was going to tune her a bit. I'm just looking to stockpile some parts :)

When I am done with the stage zero, i'll put a boost gauge, mbc and bump it up.
Is that all I :)need?

Is the wideband a necessity?

Wideband is necessary if you want to find the max safe boost level without what you said previously happening ;-)

Thank you! how much psi can i run on stock ecu with a mbc?
without killing my motor..

This

Wideband is necessary if you want to find the max safe boost level without what you said previously happening ;-)

This

Is it a bad idea to just buy a mbc and boost gauge run 10psi.
buy a wideband with i want to run more boost?
id buy one now but I'm on a tight budget.

thanks mike

Last edited:
ALWAYS, ALWAYS ,ALWAYS HAVE GAUGES TO TELL YOU WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING TO YOUR ENGINE.

gauges are cheaper than engine parts.:nod:

Is it a bad idea to just buy a mbc and boost gauge run 10psi.
buy a wideband with i want to run more boost?
id buy one now but I'm on a tight budget.

thanks mike

I doubt you will blow anything up at 10psi. Its beyond that when you need to get a wideband. My +T runs at 10psi everyday and I don't have a wideband and just run good fuel. However I will not be increasing it further until I get a wideband.

I doubt you will blow anything up at 10psi. Its beyond that when you need to get a wideband. My +T runs at 10psi everyday and I don't have a wideband and just run good fuel. However I will not be increasing it further until I get a wideband.

thanks guys ill get a mbc and boost controller soon!
ill be buying a wideband too.

whats next after this? any more cheap mods to do on the brick?

mike

thanks guys ill get a mbc and boost controller soon!
ill be buying a wideband too.

whats next after this? any more cheap mods to do on the brick?

mike

being as careful as possible to have fun and not blow it up. one can get addicted rather easily.

OT, OP, WT(other than Inst. Clstr one), VM & wide band for starters. Better now than after engine goes boom.

Ya gotta pay to play. At least if you want to take good care of the engine.

Right now, you do not know what OT etc is do you? Or has the car already got a few gauges?

Of course you can always do whatever you want............... most newbies do.;-)

Listen to them, they know what they are talking about. Spend some time searching and reading this site, lots of good info here. With the right upgrades and the gauges to tell you what is going on you can have that car turning tires into smoke in no time with simple bolt ons.

What are the goals for the car? Fun daily driver? Auto-x? Drag race? A bit of everything?

FWIW I started with a boost gauge and MBC and set it to 10 psi and the air box mod. These were basic improvements over stock. After that I swapped the turbo to a 15g, huge difference after that. I'm now sitting on some TLAO chips and bigger injectors waiting to be installed but the car will need bigger, better exhaust before I can really take advantage of those so I have not been in a hurry to put them in.

Your first improvements (as budget allows) should be gauges, MBC, air box mod, exhaust, 15g.

Listen to them, they know what they are talking about. Spend some time searching and reading this site, lots of good info here. With the right upgrades and the gauges to tell you what is going on you can have that car turning tires into smoke in no time with simple bolt ons.

What are the goals for the car? Fun daily driver? Auto-x? Drag race? A bit of everything?

FWIW I started with a boost gauge and MBC and set it to 10 psi and the air box mod. These were basic improvements over stock. After that I swapped the turbo to a 15g, huge difference after that. I'm now sitting on some TLAO chips and bigger injectors waiting to be installed but the car will need bigger, better exhaust before I can really take advantage of those so I have not been in a hurry to put them in.

Your first improvements (as budget allows) should be gauges, MBC, air box mod, exhaust, 15g.

You guys know a lot about these volvos! I'm not really looking to make it a track car. I'm just after a few horses, and a bit suspension. I want to drop a few inches too.

thanks mike

Back