• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2002 mustang GT 5 spd transmission

VB242

I.M. Weasel
Supposed to be one at the local pnp, will this transmission bolt up to a Kaplhenke T5 adapter? I wouldn't mind having a spare trans in stock and they're having a 1/2 off weekend.

FWIW... you could look at the V6 trans' out of that like... 1999 era. Which is what I've got.

I paid $200 for my t5 that came out of a 03 v6 mustang, its seen a LOT of abuse at 26-27psi, and the car made 340ft/lbs to the tire at 21psi. You shouldn't have a problem getting a v6 trans to hold up to the torque you're after

Mine is an oddball out of an 86 300zx turbo, not sure if the hi PO Ford parts for it. I did replace the input shaft with the Ford part though.

If it's a T5, you can replace the stamped steel counter gear bearing plate with the billet ones. Instant boost in torque capacity since the bearings won't spread under load.
I got one from 5speeds.com. Pretty easy to install, but you have to remove the tail housing and 5th gear. Takes about 1-2 hours the first time you do it.

They don't. I just replaced one and added the .80 5th. So much more fun!
The T5-Z I pulled apart had a lot of loose bearings (2k miles on it, maybe).
The Tremec manual says to set them up with near zero preload, which makes no sense. I set the last trans at .004in of preload after talking with Paul Cangialosi, which was just enough to have a little bit of drag on the bearings.

Last edited:
Back