• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driveshaft spacer fabrication questions

I have a m90 740 front driveshaft.. I have a M46 740 front driveshaft. I'll take measurements and pics here in a sec for you. YOu don't say what front driveshaft you have. You'll need either a 740 M46 turbo or 740 m47 as they both have the front quibo connector. I remember someone use two quibo's as a spacer before for a getrag conversion. I'll see what I have for front driveshaft's and compare them to the 740 M90 one I have.

There is a machine shop that does this locally, but they won't touch automotive applications. Lots of marine shops and tractor shops will tackle it but they won't work on cars.

And the ones that do are apparently Swedophobic.

Tell them it is for a Jeep....

Most of the drive shafts use components that are "universal" and used in a lot vehicles.

Find out what universal joints you have and see if you can cross reference it with a Jeep or some other application.

The front of the M90 driveline is a guibo, a guibo like the BMW-O's... The back end of the front section of the two piece driveling is a splined slipper inner.. No u-joints to joint with.. Snot one on the front section of the m90 driveshafted.

Mull that over Mueller..ha.

I will get those pics and measurements later today, got sidetracked yesterday.

Old ford rangers actually have a spacer on the diff shaft yoke. Iirc its about the same size as the guibo on a 740. Drill the holes straight and rock that badboy. Its also made from forged steel.

Okay the length of the M90 driveshaft and other measuring from here.

P1010058_zps7f3ede74.jpg

To here.

P1010057_zpsbadc834e.jpg

P1010056_zps0ed98808.jpg

Driveline on top is 740 with Getrag 265 five speed transmission. 28 1/2 inches.

Next driveline below that is 240 with M47 and it is 24 inches.
I got it from Harold I think he put a 740 center support on it...

The two below that are 740 with M46 and those are 20 1/8 inches.

Now the one you need is the bottom one 740 with M90 and it is 29 1/4 inches.

I showed those other ones as they are all guibo connectors to the tranny.

You can see on the top one the custom getrag one the part that is rusty is the added tube. Basically they cut the stock m46 tube off and welded a longer on in it's place. 120mil on the tubing wall. 60mil can twist and break if drag racing and 500hp..

Only driveline that might work as is, I don't have one.. 740 M47 would be the one that would be closest. Get one of those. Maybe someone here has one and can measure it..

Simon

Last edited:
Simon,

Are the M47 and M90 Guibo connections exactly the same? I posted pics of my M90 front halve propshaft for the OP in the M90 thread...measured 744mm (from memory). What I don't know for a fact is if all Guibo inputs are the SAME dimensionally. I don't have an M47 front half to measure.

Here's my M90 front half shaft:

WP_20140606_004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another solution that hasn't been discussed in this this thread.....beg a Euro TBer to buy and ship the OP the piece he needs.....and done. :roll: No cutting, welding, balancing required.

Simon,

Are the M47 and M90 Guibo connections exactly the same? I posted pics of my M90 front halve propshaft for the OP in the M90 thread...measured 744mm (from memory). What I don't know for a fact is if all Guibo inputs are the SAME dimensionally. I don't have an M47 front half to measure.

Another solution that hasn't been discussed in this this thread.....beg a Euro TBer to buy and ship the OP the piece he needs.....and done. :roll: No cutting, welding, balancing required.

I have an M90 guibo that came with my transmission that I will compare to my M46 prop shaft this afternoon to answer that question. According to the all-you-need-to-know megathread they're the same but I've seen some other posts that say they aren't. :e-shrug: Will post results in that thread.

I found a few more driveline shops I am going to try as well but after my previous experiences I'm not optimistic.

I've already contacted someone in Germany (the guy who built the car this is going in) who can get the prop shaft, but at the time he advised me not to pursue it because of the high shipping costs. Probably my best bet at this point though, because at least it'll be the right part.

Guibos are all the same... Only difference is say the bmw M5 quibo is a little thicker. I have m46's, m47's, m90's, and BMW getrag 265 and they are all the same.

Last edited:
Back