• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Olga the Second Revised

I have heard that rubber bushings for the torquearms are preferred for track use because they allow for some movement of the rear axle. Planning to change all the bushings in the rear end, but will probably end up using poly bushings since i have a set lying around.

Glad you decided to keep the gemini's silver, not a fan of black rims at all.

Old box

1hWEFARh.jpg

New box thanks to Sander :cool:

WziRR3ch.jpg

E9f4PrYh.jpg

Spent some time with rust prevention, otherwise not much happened beyond that for this week.

WU7KsV6h.jpg

Axle is in, finally! Had the car standing around without a rump long enough.

VjZnNNGh.jpg

Just one thing keep me busy for quite a while, that little rubber bushing that holds the nose of the subframe... somehow got pushed back and needed some major convincing to get it to come back to the front :-(

And since rust is a bit more a problem here than in Florida, I have been liberally caking on the slop wherever bare threads or metal would see the light of day. As of now it's a rust-free car, I intend to keep it that way!

goNhZ3kh.jpg

Should have gotten more dirty than this...

KlbMTseh.jpg

Really nice project! are we going to see some dyno numbers any time soon? And would you be willing to share your dxf files of the 16v intake en exhaust manifold? Would help with a project iam starting any time soon.

nice ! Did you change the bearings in the axle? Thats the next step on my list..

Nah, I repacked the bearings but didn't see a need to replace them. The axle with the leaking seal came out and the doner of the new 3,54 axle was a 1996 940 frontal accident car with not even 160k.

Really nice project! are we going to see some dyno numbers any time soon? And would you be willing to share your dxf files of the 16v intake en exhaust manifold? Would help with a project iam starting any time soon.

Dyno numbers might be interesting to see the power curve, but won't be anything spectacular with the current t3 50 trim. Should do a before/after though, I want to put in a new turbo, but not a priority at the moment.

I'll dig up the DXFs and post a link.

EDIT:
Link to my exhaust DXF

Link to internet exhaust DXF

Link to internet intake DXF

Link to folder with more DXFs

Last edited:
So.....

She's back on the road :)

Had a slight problem at the beginning, was still running pig rich at idle and had a hard time starting when warm. Went ahead and replaced "all the things" and even swapped out the O2 sensor for an Innovate LC-1 I bought back in 2006. Here you can see the new shiny LED and calibration button...
GI2s4zul.jpg

Bump that junk, ran worse than before and didn't do much than cause self-inflicted bald spots as I pulled out my hair and black splewdge from the car.

Here is just the beginning, it got worse, much worse as I tried to program the LC-1 outputs to make the stock ECU happy... like banging your head against a wall and expecting the wall to get out of your way. MadDog even confirmed a similar experience with LH and a wideband conversion, never again Innovate! Fool me once...
je5YybSl.jpg

Cannabalized the other working 740 wagon of its O2 and installed the stock unit in a second location now everything is well!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then I went and got digital...
nbc1ybml.jpg

Got the idea and the base code from a thread posted here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5673219

Never did like the big ole' analog gauge on the A pillar, so I thought the stealthy aspect of integrating a small display into the instrument panel was a nice touch. But I didn't want everything showing in Bar, so I modified the code to show vacuum in Hg and pressure in PSI.

3D-modelled reproduction of the original...
nf2oRj1l.jpg

3D-model modifications to add a 0.91 Inch OLED display plus arduino Nano and pressure sensor
EdvgmQml.jpg

3D-printed unit
8eQtxFrl.jpg

0extgggl.jpg

Go time!
3zL0LaUl.jpg

Plan is to have the bottom left show manifold pressure and the bottom right AFR. Problem is, the 12v to 5v converter I installed to power the Arduino units blew up and took the first unit out in a puff of smoke... No biggie, the things only cost a few dollars, but add another week of waiting till the new toys are up and running.

Until then, vroom vroom!

Last edited:
^
Yeah, don't know about that ;-)

Got back to button up some smaller things. I now have a functioning electric antenna :spin:

And I found the source for a couple of leaks around the taillights. Whenever it rained I had a bit of water in both trunk pockets and thought I fixed it when I added some silicone on the backside of both gaskets. Was still leaking, so I got to looking around a bit more and found the body filler just above both lights had cracked and water was seeping inbetween the body panels into the trunk. Quick, screwdriver to scrape off the old and some new body panel glue to the rescue. Now it's nice and dry!

Now that she's back on the road, it's fun to fix the little things. You can get a lot more boxes checked off in an afternoon when it's not a complete drivetrain swap on your todo list :)

Last edited:
your 3D printed parts look awsome! :) I also got water in the trunk pockets, have to check the taillights as well :)

@skjarlie
Guess you can see that the 3d printer has become my favorite tool in the workshop, lol.

Gotta get those leaks in your trunk fixed! Here's where I found mine

Left
TOK6iUdl.jpg

Right
1NcCDGyl.jpg

@Doug
Aight, we'll see what we can do about that, it'll only cost you a guitar :lol:

Thanks Jerry! Now i know what to look for :) spent a lot of time getting the coupe 100% waterproof, just the trunk left.

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to the arduino project :)

My trunk leaks bad, I get pools in the pockets after it rains. I can only imagine the sealer is all dried up after the car spent most of it's life in Ca.

Nothing new in the new parts department, got some more displays and arduinos in the mail and am working on getting them installed.

Went on a short roadtrip though, her first real trip since the rebuild and the first interstate drive in Germany. The new tranny and axle was a great idea. Around 500 miles and nothing bad happened, except for the rear being misted with oil... The cam cover was leaking a bit so I reinstalled the gasket with high temp silicone. Now it's good and dry and should hold for a while. Also did the second oil change since the rebuild. No metal flakes, just smelled like fuel from running rich for that little while. Was to be expected.

But it's a great daily driver, very pleased with the results. Surprisingly quick to steer, no clunking, chatter or sqeaking going down the road and the motor always has instant power in reserve.

So now I can say stage 0 complete!

Last edited:
Kaka!

----------------------------------

On the way into the garage yesterday I noticed the car wasn't making a lot of power and I was only getting like max 10psi, then 4psi, then I heard a sound like rubber diaphram exploded... good thing I was on my way into the garage anyway.

My 3d printed inlet for the recirc valve lost the large nut and sent it into the turbine. My bad for modelling the darn thing with pieces that might eventually come loose and jettison into the intake. Lessons learned...
3o9IpmZl.jpg

At least I was able to find all the pieces in the intercooler, and not the exhaust. Glad it won't end up being an expensive lesson :-P
ad8DHqMl.jpg

So I went ahead and took out all the things and gave them a good wash.

Just a minor setback...
QM78O1Ol.jpg

But, you know those days where you wake up and say "I want a bigger turbo"? They've been happening quite a lot lately. Now I'm ending the day saying "I need a new turbo", so why not get an upgrade as a replacement?

Sucks to be out of a car for a few weeks, but doesn't seem to be any other damage to anything but the turbine. I ordered a new machined 11-blade 60 trim compressor wheel, 360? bearing kit and bearing housing with the turbine balancing service. This just might end up being a good thing. :lol:

So now stage 1 begins!

Last edited:
Back