• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fuel sender float fell off.. Tips for retrieval?

So I just finished up at work for the day and am about to go to Wal mart to go get the pet fish net. The float was not in the baffle so it leads me to believe its stuck in one of the corners. I'll update as I continue to go 'fishing'

Reminds me of the time I was replacing my float...sitting in my trunk above a tank of fuel and my sister walks up with a lit cigarette and says "what ya doin?"

I lost mine last night, too, and the stupid ball sits in the corner. Incidentally, use an organic mask when huffing over the fumes... for obvious reasons. The best solution (and what i'm going to do) is wire the float onto the arm, so it can't pop off any more. Just make sure the wire doesn't interfere with anything, or the guage will be just as worthless as it was without the ball.

I did the IPD upgrade, as well... have you noticed that the pump is noisier than the old one? I don't think I ever heard the other one.

Harpoon_Gun_7223.jpg

So I tried the shop vac method first, I also tried blowing air from the shop vac through the filler neck. I actually had 2 floating around in there​ including the one I dropped today. I also tried stirring the fuel with a large screwdriver handle. I saw one or the other float by the hole a couple times but was not able to snag them. I had a ladle from the kitchen, I tried fishing them out with a coat hanger bent into various shapes. I finally gave up and ran 10 gals of fuel into fuel jugs doing some testing and lo and behold there they were both floating in the bottom of the baffle cylinder. I ended up fishing them both out with the coat hanger bent into the egg dipper shape. I didn't know there was a swirl type thing built into the tank, it's pretty cool.

The shop vac method has worked for me in the past as well. Really struggling with it this time. It doesn't help that its not an actual shop vac rather some cobbled together look alike, using a piece of PVC to try and sue the ball to. Whats the best method to get the Ball near the hole? the gas line is like 1/2 inch above the can.. Any ideas are appreciated. Venting...

I filled the tank with gas till the float popped out

This guy floats!

I had this happen to me once. I spent like an hour rocking the car back and forth/up and down stirring the gas tank until I got the float towards the middle where I could grab it with a pair of grilling tongs. I'd never thought of over filling the tank to make the float come out.

Back