• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Street Car

I'm mostly interested to see the power output and powerband with those 16v pistons - I have a set to toss into my FT block for the 16v swap but was hesitant to stuff them in.

Thanks guys!

I'm mostly interested to see the power output and powerband with those 16v pistons - I have a set to toss into my FT block for the 16v swap but was hesitant to stuff them in.

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to seeing how this combo works out.

Bolted up the VEMS panel. The factory kick panel cover fits perfectly over top of it. I was going to crimp and connectorize the bulkhead connector, but I forgot the pins and crimper at work. Doh.

photo%25204.JPG

Turbo is re-assembled and installed.

photo%25202.JPG

Spent way too long ****ing with that stupid piece of **** snap ring on the compressor housing. After much swearing, breaking one of the tangs off the snap ring, more swearing, and a ****ty "custom tool", I got it in place.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

I also spent a bunch of time going through the green manuals to get some of the less than stellar wiring sorted out. Some of the wires around the washer pump have flaking insulation and need to be replaced. I also need to do some connector splicing since I've bolted on different headlights and turn signals.

At this point I'm slogging through all the little **** jobs that need to be done but aren't visible.

Spent way too long ****ing with that stupid piece of **** snap ring on the compressor housing. After much swearing, breaking one of the tangs off the snap ring, more swearing, and a ****ty "custom tool", I got it in place.

That is a super sweet custom tool. Those snap rings can be a giant pain to get in and out. If your special tool fails, get a pair of these:

1d95aa195631dcb35f49587a9e6897c7.jpg

Knipex 44 21 J21. I use these whenever I'm working with a compressor snap ring. They work.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1365&groupID=1453&artID=1673

200mm! :lol:

I have a really nice pair I bought awhile ago that look like those pictured above, worked well for my GT35R, but it is only about 100mm I would say.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that is ready to kill a bitch while messing with one of those snap rings.

I have been brought into fits of rage by turbo snap rings. I think I pounded a broken carb I had lying around into little pieces with a sledge after trying to take a comp cover off.

Well shoot, I guess I've never tried those pliers on giant novelty-size Holset snap rings. I know that they do work for all the Garrett snap ring compressor housings. Anything bigger than a GT35R gets a bolted connection.

I always struggle with the dam compressor ring on the dam hx40. it's scary as hell when that thing slips off the channel locks with a ton of force. sometimes i'll get the snap ring on the compressor housing easy, sometimes it'll take me literally an hour to get it on by myself. It really easy if you have two people, one person with snap rings, the other person with a flat head guiding the ring into its slot.

I use the same thing as Karl basically. Two pieces of 1"x0.375" flatbar, each, about 40" long, with a pivot in the middle, and small bolts through the end ground to fit the snap ring.

When the bolts get mangled I replace 'em. Best tool.

With respect to dropping the IAC, the advantage being simplicity, I'd imagine... What are the experienced disadvantages? Is this something you'd mind in a daily driven vehicle?

Back