• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Compound Turbocharging A Volvo B230FT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be a very interesting thread! Please keep us informed! :nod:
Will do. I should be able to get a good amount done on it tomorrow. I'll update with more pics.

doing anything with the head? you don't think the 8v head will be a bottleneck in your quest for 600hp?
The head is being re-worked by Mark at SVS R&D. Port, polish, bowl work, chamber work, etc.. I'm leaving stock valves, in case something goeswrong I want to still have room to go larger valves later.

The 60mm wg I had only had a 44mm waste diameter.

I think you might be right, the inlet on the one I bought is 60mm and the outlet is is probably about 44mm (definitely smaller). I haven't measured it yet, but I'll put the calipers on it tomorrow and post a pic.

I think you might be right, the inlet on the one I bought is 60mm and the outlet is is probably about 44mm (definitely smaller). I haven't measured it yet, but I'll put the calipers on it tomorrow and post a pic.

Im wastegating my downpipe. Once I saw the 44 dump tube and physical size of the 60mm gate, I sent it back and got twin 44mm units. Much easier to fit!

Calling this right now for posterity: You're living in a dream world. Those power goals with your stated setup are completely out of touch with reality.

How do you figure? Have you actually seen this same setup fail? I know for a fact that the turbos are well suited for well over 600whp. I'll be using 2 "044" pumps with -10 to the fuel rail and -8 on the way back to the surge tank, so there will also be more than adequate fueling. I think with a big enough cam it'll make it to my power goal. :)

it's not the turbos, the fuel system or the cam, it's the physical limits of the head you are using.

if you were to build this around a b18c honda motor i have no doubt it would make 600hp, probably more.

16V would make the power easier, but I want to see how an 8V hangs in there. Bergen made 520whp with an 8V so I think this should be more than capable.

The head is being re-worked by Mark at SVS R&D. Port, polish, bowl work, chamber work, etc.. I'm leaving stock valves, in case something goeswrong I want to still have room to go larger valves later.
has he worked on one of these before? it's not the best head in the world. the only two people i know of making big power with 8v have heavy headwork, not just port cleanup and cam. i'm sure your turbo setup has big potential, but you can only shove so much through that exhaust valve

Im wastegating my downpipe. Once I saw the 44 dump tube and physical size of the 60mm gate, I sent it back and got twin 44mm units. Much easier to fit!

Yeah, that's why I was going to use a 44mm gate for the GT45. Space runs out quickly when you cram all that stuff under the hood. I've been told that I'm gonna end up buying a Tial 60mm gate, but I just want to ease into it (cost-wise). I'm trying to do this on a budget, but that ideas already shot to hell.:lol: I might get a little done on the intake manifold this weekend too, all depending upon my RedBull intake.

has he worked on one of these before? it's not the best head in the world. the only two people i know of making big power with 8v have heavy headwork, not just port cleanup and cam. i'm sure your turbo setup has big potential, but you can only shove so much through that exhaust valve

Most of the port work he's doing is on the exhaust side, he has ported Volvo heads in the past (B18/20, B21/23/230). I don't know if he has done any whiteblock stuff, but he's very familiar with the others. We have a sample head(530) he's ported where every port is different to show from clean-up to fully ported. He's also helping me re-grind the valves and seats, to have more radius.

gl dude, i hope you prove us wrong and figure out how to make big numbers a different way, but keep us posted either way, very interesting build

it's not the turbos, the fuel system or the cam, it's the physical limits of the head you are using.

if you were to build this around a b18c honda motor i have no doubt it would make 600hp, probably more.

You need more faith in Volvo.:-P All joking aside, I'll post pics of the head when finished, It really is going to be engine art with stock valves.:lol: I really want to see what happens and adjust this setup as problems arise, or another possibility, it might do what it should and amaze us all. 16V would have been the easy way out, plus 8V retains tractor status.:)

Okay, so I measured the WG this morning and is in fact not at all 60mm. The valve might be 60mm, but the ports are not. That's kind of a bummer. :grrr:

img20120218110129.jpg

img20120218110149.jpg

Update for the day. 16T is in it's final resting place and GT45 is positioned. I will order a flexpipe and a few bends on Monday to start fitting all the tubes.

img20120218141724.jpg

img20120218141704.jpg

img20120218141622.jpg

img20120218141456.jpg

really interesting project! will be following it for sure.

not to be negative, but I'd have to side with the others on the issue of head flow... I just don't think it'll be enough. iirc it has been pretty much proven that a ported stock head will just barely outflow an unported stock head, when stock valves are used. with larger valves, I'd speculate that it would be quite a bit easier to make more power, but regardless, good luck to ya! Should be super fun even if you don't reach your power goals.

I was looking at the pics in the car and it hit me...How much pressure can that factory blow off diafram handle in the high pressure turbo? I guess putting a bigger spring will help keep it seated....Keep up the good work...one could get discouraged if he listened to everything posted.....:poo:

I was looking at the pics in the car and it hit me...How much pressure can that factory blow off diafram handle in the high pressure turbo? I guess putting a bigger spring will help keep it seated....Keep up the good work...one could get discouraged if he listened to everything posted.....:poo:

I plan to block the cbv on the 16T with a plate. Does anyone know where to source one? I will be running a 50mm bov in front of the throttle plate. Also, I'm not easily discouraged. This car will make it to 600whp one way or another. if it doesn't make it with the 8v I'll go 16v turbo(4.8l or 5.3l ls truck motor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back