• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ghetto 7XX axle clamshell stiffener, plus Newbie post, hopefully useful

thelocalspoke

Dang I dislike flickr.

Here's the mod first, in case you don't want to also get to know me. 7/940 turbos seem to me to use up the torque rod bushings first (along with the easy to get track rod bushing) out back, so it's odd that those are the hardest to find in poly. Pay attention to the TB group buy, I say. There are some UK guys--whose link I can't find--that sell green poly everything including the clamshells that this mod addresses, but they are expensive and a long way off, and I think this might be good enough:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffslotkin/sets/72157644334656538/

I've been screwing around with 2's and 7's for about fifteen years, ever since we bought a rusty '86 244 and drove it 'til I was afraid it would break in half.

I built MXSlotkin's b23 motor and rebushed his chassis with him back when he was young enough to believe everything I told him. He's turbo'd and t-5'd and MSS'd it now, and I still help some.

I had quit the bricks myself because most of them need everything, until I drove a turbo and realized what I was missing. Now I'm drunk on the KoolAid.

I now drive a 93 945T that was not worth the 1200 I paid for it, and is now not worth the other couple grand I've spent. It needed everything chassis-wise, and had been run so hot the plastics melted off the head. It ran OK, but when we investigated the chirpy cam we found everything right down to a bore that MIGHT be cracked. I was still scratching my head about it when Sam (oops...MXSlotkin) let his friend wrap his 90 or 91 945T around an unlucky tree.

So, we built my car with that, new seals where needed and all other rubber replaced. I've got an IPD cam coming, the rest of the poly, lower chassis brace, looking for a PSIC...etc.

And I've got two squirter blocks, an NA and a maybe-useful T my car came with. Eventually gonna go for <300 hp with a T5, but not on the old motor and aw71 I'm using now.

I had no idea these items had a high failure rate. What are the symptoms?

1)If you mean the torque rod bushings, they might look like these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffslotkin/sets/72157644696289556/

...and your car will probably bounce more than your shocks and springs would otherwise allow, and probably even seem to shift softer and wear u-joints faster (a lot, a little?). This is based on a sample of three cars with 150-230K, so YMMV. I can't imagine driving one of these until it's metal on metal back there like some people ( my other son) do with 2xxs.

along with what I consider to be the other two main offenders, the front trailing arm bushings and the track rod bushings, your car can feel like poo back there even with new shocks and springs, and track poorly on crowned roads and bumps esp.

2) If you mean the clamshell that is the subject of my earlier post, I really don't think they are usually problematic, but i wanted to try and stiffen mine to better match all the poly. I *think* they are tied with the FRONT torque rod bushings and the subframe mountsfor most reliable in the rear of the car. I modded mine because I was installing springs and being exploratory, that day, mostly.

Also, I don't want to pay for IPD adjustable stuff because this car is to remain at stock height. It has MOOG overloads w/ 1-1/2 coils cut in back (2 coils MIGHT be better), and is gonna get the subframe reinforced, and stiffer springs up front but not lowered. When I lower one it'll not be my DD...and in my wet dreams will be all Kahplenke under there.

Sweet mod. No one touches rear bushings on these cars. Probably one of the reasons I never enjoyed driving them (I owned one for a while, therefore smack talk is allowed) very much.

It's amazing how much those torque rod bushings move around, but when you put a square bushing in a round hole, yeah, it's gonna be sloppy. I've done 5 sets in the 7/9 cars locally, sold probably 60-70 sets or more over the years doing the GB's and those big torque rod bushings are the biggest difference.

Might have to try something like this when I get time to work on my wagon again.

I love the way this cat says he did all the work building my motor, when I was right there turning many wrenches on it and the car ;)

I love the way this cat says he did all the work building my motor, when I was right there turning many wrenches on it and the car ;)

Who is this guy? i drank beer and barked orders, WTF does he want? And paid the rent.

Sheesh, all he's done is tried and failed to blow it up ever since. Kids.

That's cool. I wondered about those last time I took my axle out. Will do something similar next time I work on that end. Thanks! Probably splains why I chew up tires on the fenderwell doing hard donuts

Sweet mod. No one touches rear bushings on these cars. Probably one of the reasons I never enjoyed driving them (I owned one for a while, therefore smack talk is allowed) very much.

Speak for yourself

740torquerods_1024x1024.jpeg

Installing a set of these puppies does wonders for the rear, you actually have throttle response.

Both valid posts. Other than Pete's car I have not seen a single 7/9 in Portland with proper suspension, though.

Both valid posts. Other than Pete's car I have not seen a single 7/9 in Portland with proper suspension, though.

Lots of people overseas are running real links.

Anyone who cares about performance who lives in portland drives a 240 because they know better. :-P

I'm a Grandpa, need to drive a Grandpa car ;-) I may look into those links, fixing to drop some bucks on my 74o in a few months

Hey when are my 740 suspension parts I ordered from you KErpluKy last month gonna show up? I might order up some of those rear solid torque rods also but how long will that take?

Maybe IPD will make those adjustable rear torque rods with poly like they where gonna a few years ago now that they have a new owner? Ha...

So glad I don't live in Portland. Smells like cr@p in that town. Something about the way water flows downhill..

Last edited:
Hey when are my 740 suspension parts I ordered from you KErpluKy last month gonna show up? I might order up some of those rear solid torque rods also but how long will that take?

Maybe IPD will make those adjustable rear torque rods with poly like they where gonna a few years ago now that they have a new owner? Ha...

So glad I don't live in Portland. Smells like ##%# in town...

Speaking of that, when are you coming over with that airbox?

We'll my 740 wagon with 540 thousand miles did 15.1 in the quarter last time I took it years ago Harry... Ha, he, ha...

Over where Harry? Your house? Where is that? Sheetville?

Wow! Harry! So your 15.5 is quicker then my 15.1? I guess with that thinking no wonder 240 wonder boys thinks what they thinks. Oh and that was with a T25 turbo. With a 16T did 14.8..

Last edited:
Portland proper. To you, yeah, Sheetville :lol: Aren't you going to go visit the girlfiriend sometime this week or sumphin'?

PS my automatic 240 with a 34 year old B21 and AW71 did a 15.5 :neener:

Back