• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle242GT's 1959 5.044

PV is coming along....however it turns out, some fun is going to be had.
Every time I hit a wall or find crust and bondo, I keep reminding myself just that.

I love the grille upside down. If I ever get another PV I'm doing that.
Mine doesn't fit quite right, some is probably crash damage, some is probably my extra holes being a little too high.

Glad someone could even notice the difference.

Thanks for the comments all.

If you want more stuff to work on, possibly our most recurring issue on the bugeye was wasting the front lower control arms, usually at the sway bar connection. I kinda doubt the PV is much more beefy.

If you want more stuff to work on, possibly our most recurring issue on the bugeye was wasting the front lower control arms, usually at the sway bar connection. I kinda doubt the PV is much more beefy.
:e-shrug: I swear the front end weight seems nearly unchanged vs stock. With the engine so far back, the battery moved back, etc, it doesn't seem to sit any lower.

I did weld up the spring seats (back several pages), a known weak point. The rest of the front end is pretty overbuilt.

Nice shroud! Did you pre stretch? Looks distortion free.
Would you believe I don't even know what that means? :-D It's 16ga, cut with a jigsaw, then rolled, and folded in my makeshift metal brake (two 2x4's screwed together and clamped in the vise).

It did come out pretty nice for whatever reason, thanks!

Ordered some gauges today...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPC-ELECTRI...=69fcd48bf3ec44f7bdd868b4268db6cb&pid=100044&
$_12.JPG

As per usual, asked for opinions in OT and then just went ahead and took the cheapest route.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y8j5qS3WZ4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:zeeall:

Steering is a little off, might just be toe. No seatbelts, gauges, brakelights, rear fenders, or mufflers. :woowoo:

Brakes work really well, nice and straight and seemingly well balanced at low speed testing.

:ohjoy: And I think it might be fast.

Started looking at the gauges today.... :wtf: there is a big fat steeringwheelrim in the way. Getting the gauges installed in a manner consistent with information exchange may prove challenging.

Temp gauge appears accurate (140F gauge verified with ecu temp sender), evidently steamblow was due to air pockets. I knew this would be an issue with the rad lower than the engine. This may prove a problem point, but maybe I can just insert an E36-esque bleedvalve.

Oil pressure shows ... oil pressure .. 40 at idle, up to 60 at higher (aka LOUD) rpm. Was told/intuited that engine was fresh, so that makes sense. Kinda bummed these gauges are so irresponsive, but that's proof you get what you pay for.

So that's it for today. Didn't drive it. Way too easy to hit the gas when aiming for the brake, so that'll get sorted soon.

Oh yeah, gonna get some tires (ordered?) tomorrow - 265/50R15. They's beyond max for a 15x7 but that's how I roll.

BEYOND MAX.
:nod:

265/50R15's. 275/60's were too tall for my liking.

Working on mufflers presently... once I get them worked out (which apparently will require removing the front end again :-( ) I can put it on the ground, center the rear end, then remove it to get it narrowed.

Then comes the fun of making these things fit inside the fenders.

:x:

!CEWlJUg!mk~$(KGrHqUOKicE0)j3V4iVBNRkTW829Q~~_35.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3508.JPG
    DSCN3508.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN3509.JPG
    DSCN3509.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCN3510.JPG
    DSCN3510.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 329
:cheers: thanks!

Decided to put it on the ground to see how much narrowing/flaring I have to work with.

Appears I can go in about 4" a side, and the tires protrude about 6". Using mad math skills, I'll have to flare the fenders 2". It's either that or enlarge the fender opening and live with the poke. Don't really want to do that...

A car that like it works, but I'm looking for more of a retro/pro-touring sort of thing.

I may see how much more I can move the wheels in, without having to revamp the rear suspension and unibody.

Then again, looks like this guy may have cheated a little bit...
544JH2.jpg

But it's still far tidier with the rubber inside the fenders.

The leading edge is where it's tricky, it's really close to the body. I may be able to cheat an inch or two there in the front, and then slice the rear area under the trimline to the taillight, fold that out to match.

PV-BS-thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3511.JPG
    DSCN3511.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN3512.JPG
    DSCN3512.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Kyle, your a fabricator now, go for it!!

https://youtu.be/Co4RZUog6Xo

https://youtu.be/O-OcDbV5nvw

https://youtu.be/O21R8mkpfTE

In the last vid he shows filling every section between the tabs with it's own piece of metal. I think that's kind of a PITA. Since all of the tabs are under the fender sheet metal a one piece pattern could be made to fill the gap and sit flush with the fender. This pattern could be cut into 2, 3 or 4 pieces if required.
I know he's working on a VW but the fenders are similar and I know I've seen pictures of this being done on a 544, but I couldn't find them.
Carry on, Sir!!!

Back