• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Dashboard out - what should I fix?

No history on the car? If you are just flipping the car and it currently works and is quiet, don't worry about it. If you are keeping the car, do it. At least pull the cover and impeller from one side and take a look. An original VDO motor will have an oxidized appearance to the plating.

dynamat behind the dash
clean out air vents
put better wiring wrap around wires
clean grounds
check all bulbs
?replace heater control?
replace heater vacuum lines
check heater hoses
clean fuse panel connectors

put dynamat on air passages and sides of blower motor will make it a lot more quiet

Lubricate and check the tension on the cables for the wiper system. Make sure the cables are snug. they like to work loose over the years of use.

Seal firewall corners if there is any sign of aging/cracking, check the foams on the floors if they are dry...
Disassemble heater box, clean everything.
Clean everything under cowl panel as you will have access if you have the heater box out. Vacuum cleaner, coathanger, compressed air... Cleaning the sills is a good idea too.

Lube throttle, clutch, hood, speedo, and any other cables under there.

Rumour has it when they built 240s they started at the heater fan, and bolted the rest of the car around it. It sure seems that way.
If you change it the traditional way you will need beer, bandaids, and earplugs for the people around you. Everything is sharp and at the wrong angle under there. You will bleed and curse and need to take up drinking to ease the pain after. After changing a 240 heater fan the "right" way many times, I like the giant hole saw through the side of heater box and patch afterwards method myself.......

Just reminiscing about a wonderful few days of my life.

Attachments

• Testpoint%20heater%20core_zpsaaharmju[1].jpg
    Testpoint%20heater%20core_zpsaaharmju[1].jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 131
Everyone has hit everything. I would like to add, just replaced the HVAC lighting and switch lighting bulbs since you'll have it all apart. I would recommend LED, they are direct fit and will outlast the car(These are worth it).

Not insane, no. They're dimmable, yes. The warranty at SBL is worth the extra money and they ship fast. I'll take a picture of my dash and cluster tonight and post back here.

Back