• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cooling System question

Boost

1985 Volvo 244DL, B230F, M46

My radiator gave out today, and I'm heading out to the JY to get a new one. I spoke with a friend, and he said to get a copper/brass one, if not that, then aluminum. My current(broken) one is a plastic Blackstone rad.

My question is, what is the cooling system/radiator capacity for this car? Will it change with the new rad, or are they all the same capacity? I have not done this yet, so I want to get it right, especially because the Arizona summers are right around the corner;-)

Thank you for your help, TB! You never let me down:)

The aluminum radiator will cool better than the brass/copper metal ones. But the all metal ones are more durable if you like to go off roading or something. The are also a lot heavier. I recommend and use the Nissens aluminum plastic radiators. They replace the rubber grommet and plastic plug/fan sensor with a screw in sensor that won't pop out or leak.

Be sure to get a phosphate and silicate free coolant. Not regular coolant. Volvos require coolant without those two chemicals. Peak universal is an example of the type of coolant you can use.

Ok, I will have to look out for an aluminum one, then. I need the best one for cooling for the summers here. What model or year cars in particular had the aluminum ones, so I can save time of inspecting every Volvo I see at the JY? Or is it just random?

I'd keep your eye out for a 3 row Nissens one. They're thicker and hold more coolant and therefore cool a little better.

The same aluminum and plastic radiators were used in the early 80s to 93 240s. The same as a 240 aluminum and plastic radiators were also used in all 740s from 85-91. Since you are junkyard hunting. I would get the best radiator you can find then flush it out before using it. All 240 series radiators interchange. It's just that from 75- to about 82-83 they used all metal radiators.

the nissens has a name plate on top of it so it's pretty easy to spot

quick google search
fan6.jpg

Back