• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 244 A/C catastrophe!

volvo245kit

Okay so I'm in the middle of this '93 244 project (engine rebuild, etc.) and I have the A/C compressor out and in the vice on my workbench. I then go to remove the large A/C hose fitting at the compressor and it's real tight. So I get a cheater pipe and start to turn it but it's turning real hard. I get a second grip and suddenly when I start turning it goes SNAP! You guessed it-the line came off with the threaded boss from the compressor with it. Is there any hope for this compressor? Has this ever happened to anyone here? Is there any option at this point other than getting a new line and compressor? I was wondering if I could get it machined at a machine shop and put a fitting in it and a new line? Help, please! Thanks.

You should have applied a little heat to the fitting before you tried to break it free but too late for that. You can find a bad compressor that has a good rear housing and replace it. New line can be made fairly reasonably priced.

As stated before, that rear plate with the threaded fittings can be had easily.

Before you break those lines loose on any other car or anywhere else on your AC system, there is typically a hole in the nut on the line. Fill that hole up with penetrating oil and that will make your life a lot easier.

There are Volvos in the JY's here because there's one guy who they send all of the Volvos to and he charges an arm and a leg for most everything.

Dam Just think I gave 3 Compressors away last summer along with a 16 valve head. Stoopid me anyway get a JY compressor. I have not had a bad one yet. I thought I did thats why I had three spares. Thats a long story I will not go into. It was hot. But for the damn thing to snap like that it must have had a leak somone was trying to kill.

Back