• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Piggyback like AEM fic6 on S90/960

Turbosundance

Has anyone ever tried to use a piggy back controller such as the AEM FIC6 (http://www.aemelectronics.com/universal-fuel-ignition-controller-6-mag-or-hall-sensors-626) to allow the ECU (motronic 4.4?) in 960/S90 to run a T6 engine? I'm looking at buying an S90 with the plan of installing a T6 engine but I would need the car to pass a ob2 scanner emission test. I can only pass if I have the stock ECU without any stored faults or codes. Also, would motronic flip out without the transmission controller?

i know a lot of people have problems getting a piggyback to work but certainly is must work if you only do some minor changes like pull some timing in boost or scale the injector pulse for larger injectors.

shouldn't it just adapt to your changes aslong as do it correctly and keep it consisent?

Why install a microsquirt in parallel with the stock ecu, you could add 2 injectors somewhere and have htem come in to stage.

if I'm going to buy a microsquirt and wire that in why not just go with the aem fic?

I see some tuning options out there for motronic 4.4 but nothing for the 6. I might have to try out an fic.?

Because with the microsquirt your not intercepting signals and modifying them. The way I would do is install it parallel, steal the RPM signal from the stock ECU, have a wideband and all the requisite sensors and when you start getting into boost start injecting an extra injector or two. That way your not interfering with stocks signals, now the flip side is the stock ecu may freak the hell out if senses boost. Also I seem to remember people complaining about AEMs electronics being needlessly complicated, when it comes to piggybacks, Split second seems to be widely regarded.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Motronic would see the extra fuel being added and freak out. Also, I'm sure it'll freak out when the maf goes over a certain amount of flow. The FIC5 can clamp the maf signal one you reach a certain point and then rely on a MAP sensor to add additional fuel.

I can't imagine it would be an issue. It would run like an N/A motor but the FIC will reduce the injector pulse widths to compensate for some larger injectors. Once in boost, the FIC can increase the pulse widths and dial back the crank and cam trigger angles to reduce the ignition timing. I can't see how Motronic would even know it's happening.

Just a question, as I don't know a whole lot about the motronic stuff. Could you use the ECM from the donor car that the t6 comes out of? If you could, I feel like that would make things a lot easier.

This is something I've also been considering. It seems a shame to dump all of Bosch's R+D on the Motronic system if it could be retained for the majority of use off boost, especially as I'd want to keep the Motronic system in parallel but de-energised just in case of a fatal aftermarket system failure when stuck somewhere really remote.

I can't help on any piggyback suggestions, but can confirm that the Motronic 4.4 doesn't seem to be too phased when it loses data or input from the transmission controller. I've been running without any transmission controller whatsoever for over 6 years, but I can't say if this shows up as a fault code or not, which I suspect it will.

When i started this discussion i didnt own a 960/S90 yet but i finally found one i wanted to buy last weekend. The car needs a few repairs and a stage 0. In the mean time I'm going to try to pick up an fic6 and get it wired up with a widband and go from there. I'll keep you guys updated.

I am aware of the work with m4.4 and tunerpro but I'm not aware of any .xdf files for the b6304. I also like the idea of the built in MAP sensor in the FIC for fueling in boost.

Because with the microsquirt your not intercepting signals and modifying them. The way I would do is install it parallel, steal the RPM signal from the stock ECU, have a wideband and all the requisite sensors and when you start getting into boost start injecting an extra injector or two. That way your not interfering with stocks signals, now the flip side is the stock ecu may freak the hell out if senses boost. Also I seem to remember people complaining about AEMs electronics being needlessly complicated, when it comes to piggybacks, Split second seems to be widely regarded.

The FIC actually controls the injectors by itself. It does intercept the signals but it can 100% control fuel injectors and there pulse width. I used a FIC6 on an ecu that is regarded as next to impossible to trick with piggy back. The older Toyotas used a 12v-0v AFM signal and I used the FIC 6 to directly control the injectors and tuned off the internal MAP sensor. No issues with it what so ever. Worked great actually. I actually prefered it over the MS I had on it before the FIC6 since it was easier to use. I actually felt more confident with the FIC.

Back