• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'93 volvo 940 turboy

So with two coils missing on the front springs, do they really have enough "spring" left?
I'm genuinely asking on behalf of my 1993 "sitting back" 940 : I'd like it flatter, just more level would be nice.

So with two coils missing on the front springs, do they really have enough "spring" left?
I'm genuinely asking on behalf of my 1993 "sitting back" 940 : I'd like it flatter, just more level would be nice.

Yes they do :nod: Cut the coils off of the bottom of the spring. That way it will sit nicely in the spring seat. With the car off the ground it may appear iffy, although you do have to compress the spring significantly to put the top nut back on the shock, when you set it down the spring compresses into the holder quite securely. Just don't hit jumps with your lowered car, its not the General Lee. I wouldn't remove any more than 2 coils from the front if you are planning on cutting.

Last edited:
You're welcome! I think all the stigma around cutting springs comes from VW and Honda people who try to lay frame by chopping springs when they probably don't have the right type of springs to cut in the first place. Its actually quite common in stock car racing to cut springs in order to fine tune handling.

P.S. I just went on a road trip this weekend and the car actually handles better with the springs cut. It isn't bouncy and I haven't lost control or died in a horrific tragedy yet. Don't sue me if your spring cutting goes wrong but I really don't see any problem with taking a few coils out of a 940

Last edited:
Did you ever manage to get your gauges/dials to light up? I have the same problem.

Boy now I tell ya what this is a good build thread. Now when I say boy. I mean boy.

Did you ever manage to get your gauges/dials to light up? I have the same problem.

Yes I did, this thread has been long overdue for an update. Recently, my alternator died and in the process of troubleshooting it I ended up pulling the cluster out and found more troublesome solder joints that either I didn't see earlier or had just recently broken. I know for sure that the alternator had gone bad, but where the field circuit goes through the cluster wasn't helping either.

My advice to you is to take your instrument cluster out, and inspect every solder joint with a magnifying glass to make sure they are ok. If you find a cracked one, take a pencil tip soldering iron and carefully re-melt the solder thats on there, you may need to add a little more filler but do so sparingly. If that doesn't fix your problem then you probably have an issue somewhere else in the harness. i wasn't able to find a pin-out diagram for the connectors on the cluster but the wiring diagrams on http://volvowiringdiagrams.com/ show the connector and pin numbers you will need to look for.

I'm on vacation this week and will be moving across town as soon as I fix a few problems with the turboy next week, after that, once I get a chance to breathe I will post some more exciting, intriguing, and thought provoking content.

HUGE update

It's been quite a while since I updated this thread. Some work has gotten done, mostly maintenance. But for the most part the car has been reliable and I have taken it on several road trips this summer and enjoyed driving every mile.

So after my last update, my friends and I went to visit Dogfish Head brewery, near rehoboth beach
IMG_20140613_144922.jpg

The next weekend we went on another Beer vacation, this time to the finger lakes
IMG_20140620_193652.jpg

While we were in the area, we went to 2014 Euro meet in Ithaca, NY
mXjaUB3w7bpA5Vjalc7TnSndOyDgRc32Y3smXXIXSCE=w415-h553-no

and stopped at another brewery on the way home
IMG_20140622_200740.jpg

sometime in July, DISASTER struck
IMG_20140706_163113.jpg

The alternator died, which necessitated its replacement. This also ended up becoming another adventure behind the dash fixing more solder joints in the cluster. It turns out I had several charging problems at once. Fixed all of them eventually.
IMG_20140708_194712.jpg

The stock alternator bushings were shot, so clearly i NEEDED the Heavy Duty replacements
IMG_20140811_104035688_HDR.jpg

I also got around to installing my 18psi wastegate actuator, putting the A/C tensioner bracket to good use
IMG_20140722_152946306.jpg

Followed by a trip to Hilton Head, SC
IMG_20140801_200337.jpg

But something was still wrong, the stock horns were not up to par. how am I supposed to road rage effectively when my car makes me sound like a pussy??
IMG_20140811_085640028.jpg

My solution to the problem was to remove the OEM horns install two 90's cadillac horns behind the grill by extending the wiring and modifying the factory bracket slightly.
IMG_20140811_112432841_HDR.jpg

Then my lease ran out and it was time to move across town
IMG_20140812_151550.jpg

So long Wham Street, it's been real!
IMG_20140817_124625344-PANO.jpg

My new place has a garage but its shared between a few duplexes.
IMG_20140818_135942.jpg

This doesn't even cover everything. Will post once I have more pics

I just finished another round of work on the ol' swede. Cleaning the MAF, replacing the fouled O2 sensor, cleaning the air filter, replacing plugs and wires. After all that, my in town gas mileage has gone from 15 up to 22mpg.

While i was at it, I pulled the whole exhaust system and made some improvements:
yJaqbM3lzmRWsaors0su_cDNhK74XPU_K_8UBghjRlM=w362-h643-no

I fixed the bottom bend of the downpipe and added a flex pipe:
VNdEr2f7sx1PB2dT-Wcmms70pvCSbzDRe_PqhxWRvMA=w1143-h643-no

In addition to moving the glasspack into the resonator position and adding a thrush welded muffler:
1JWo6c6d-SHiv2PnjDiIApLW1DH8fnO5nrddeBkI9ZQ=w1143-h643-no

I like the sound better and the system came out much more sturdy.

Engine bay update pic

some things have changed under the hood since I last posted a pic of it all. I made the wiring somewhat more tidy, washed it, added a catch can, and did a few other things.
wJMuX9QVe1sB8rr5LDIFSHt5O2xhWDdVLNccqi-Mb0w=w1143-h643-no

I also scrubbed and waxed the car by hand, likely the first time this car has seen a real cleaning in over 4 years
vu6NKHEL5BiIc_UiDxqq2FbdAz95dK-3HP9PNTRAUDc=s643-no

8/7/16 eidt:
I had recorded a 1/4 mile time with the GPS on my phone in August of 2015. It was pretty dismal so I didn't post it immediately but now it serves as a reference point for the progress I'm making in ironing out all the kinks in my car.
Screenshot_2016-08-07-14-13-13_zpslmomkako.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I installed the Nuke cam gear. I then adjusted it to 5 degrees advance. This made the car much nicer to drive since using the ipd cam with an automatic leaves a dead spot in the rpm range where the torque converter isnt helping and you aren't up on the cam yet unless you can advance it. The power falls off some at the high end so ill probably back it off a degree or 2 at some point but for now i'm enjoying the low end torque. Only a few more maintenance tasks and then this car will see a few thousand miles of driving in the mid-west over the next few months.
IMG_20160427_112525_zpsryekwsos.jpg

Last edited:
upgrade and adjustment

This week I installed a set of IPD sway bars that I recently bought from wennstroma.
IMG_20160807_114157579_zpsp85229yq.jpg

IMG_20160807_133641566_zpsfsgpq9an.jpg

While I was messing around under the car I checked my wastegate actuator and found out that its been loose for a long time. Went ahead and tightened it up and noticed way less turbo lag.
Screenshot_2016-08-07-13-36-09_zpsb6pczguy.png

Last edited:
Oh my Gorsh! so much has happened since the last time I posted any sort of update
2Ub4d2w.jpg

So a year and a half ago I packed up and moved across the country
SZ21noK.jpg

Right after I got out here, 1st gear let go and I had to do a transmission swap. I ended up getting one for free from a chill dude up near seattle because he was doing a manual swap in his 740 and needed someone to haul off his AW-71. This worked out great since that "new" transmission had the accumulator mod and clearly has had regular fluid service.

I also swapped my front bumper to the early 740 rally style with the cool looking chin splitter and fog light holes. I mostly did this to mount Hella 550's without having them look out of place. Here we see the turboy up on Mt Hood last winter.
vkgmFmn.jpg

Then, mid winter my timing belt snapped in a snowy parking lot I had gotten stuck in
AVHT6Jq.jpg

Boy was that an expensive tow! So apparently the IPD turbo cam is just BARELY interference because when the belt broke 2 valves got dinged just enough that they wouldnt seal so I had no compression on 2 cylinders. This prompted a trip to pick-n-pull where I got a whole nother engine with 1yr warranty for $250. As far as I could tell the JY engine was a genuine 125,000 mile turbo engine from a 740. So I used that bottom end and some valvetrain parts to piece together a working unit.
4XTQ25C.jpg

M8KVjdb.jpg

yi3vrZ2.jpg

smiDeYV.jpg

8T1Ux6J.jpg

88HQxsw.jpg

UWht5DL.jpg

And then very recently I put a new set of stock springs in it which basically amounted to putting a lift kit on this lowered volvo.
SpRv1iU.jpg

It ought to do much better in the snow this winter
s4ssRQV.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:
Back