• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo M47 Tailshaft Bushing

xDread92x

So I am still trying to track down my intense driveshaft wobble. Major driveshaft wobble and rumble under low rpm as well.

The shifter shakes side to side while at idle and when shifting there is the occasional clunk. I have replaced engine and tranny mounts, ujoints, center support bearing/bushing, all rear suspension bushings, etc.

I can recheck driveshaft balance but marks are lined up.

The one thing I can think of is the tailshaft bushing causing the driveshaft to be "loose" and not straight and true. How can I check play or movement from the cylindrical metal bushing?

The other thing I thought of is the puny spring that supports the center bearing. Last time I checked it the spring was all bent and out of place and this could be causing the wobble and movement. I could look into a heavier duty spring potentially.

My final assessment is that the front shaft could be bent somehow but you cant tell that unless its taken off. The guibo was also replaced.

I see shimming they say isn't necessary for 240's. Could it have some kind of impact if I attempted it?

I guess im just going to have to deal with this for the life of the car. Freakin BS.

So much for the turbo project on this drivetrain. Not only do you lose power and drive with a wobbly driveshaft but the boost will probably blow it up at some point.

I just can't stand this because it really puts excess wear on the transmission interals, shaft seals, etc. Its like at some point there will be detrimental error.

M47 doesn't have a tail shaft bushing. It has bearings so it's unlikely that's your problem unless the bearings are wasted in which case there would be a lot of noise.

Has the drive shaft been professionally balanced?

FYI, M47's were never used behind a turbo engine. Not that it hasn't been done but Volvo didn't think they would hold up so they used the M46 with a stronger P style overdrive instead.

A bad giubo is pretty easy to spot by cracks or tears in the rubber.

If the alignment dowel for the giubo (#2) is missing or damaged it will have a vibration.

GR-53646.jpg

Nope the side to side shake of shifter is when sitting at idle and no clutch pressed in.

The entire shifter and driveshaft shake when starting the car as well. again new mounts and tons of new parts.

When I installed the guibo the bolting pattern and sequence is correct and I believe the alignment dowel is in place correctly as well. There is so much movement down there that when I am town cruising at high gear like in 2 for instance the movement knocks the transmission out of gear, especially when going uphill and down hill. Uphill knocks gear 1 out and downhill will knock gear 2 out etc. No noise, grinding, etc from transmission. Very quiet

I just dont understand why this sytem is so complex in getting it straight and true. It has not been professionally balanced. I am in wilmington NC and there are no driveshaft shops around here. The closest is one in raleigh 2 and a half hours away

What is #3 in the diagram?

I know I did this job a year ago but for some reason I am unsure if I remember this part or not to be honest. I may just have to remove and take this all apart again and reassess.

Something is just not right. and the shaking has definitely gotten worse over time.

Or maybe it was there and has just gone bad honestly idk.

The bushing is pressed into the end of the driveshaft.

Make sure you bolted the alignment pin to the flange on the trans. If you bolted it to the giubo it won't do what it's supposed to.

Can the bushing go bad? And the guibo is connected to the flange properly.

Does it matter the orientation on the differential flange? Or does the shaft in its entirety matter most? I dont remember markings being on the differential 4 bolt circular flange.

The bushing could wear but it would be unusual. Hopefully it's not because the bushing is NLA.

No, the orientation of the diff flange shouldn't matter.

Nope the side to side shake of shifter is when sitting at idle and no clutch pressed in.

The entire shifter and driveshaft shake when starting the car as well. again new mounts and tons of new parts.

SO it shakes badly when the driveshaft is not rotating?
shaking while starting?

motor and trans mounts, even if you did them before, check and recheck

Well I took it to the shop last year for the tranny mount and they called me saying something needed to be welded and that there was an error. Their explanation wasn't thorough and I don't even understand what could have happened. I believe it had to do with the mount.

Whatever the issue, could the weld have broke? I will have to contact the shop and ask them about it.

But since the driveshaft is still attached you guys are saying that should have no affect on shake unless the driveshaft is rotating?

Last edited:
Well I took it to the shop last year for the tranny mount and they called me saying something needed to be welded and that there was an error. Their explanation wasn't thorough and I don't even understand what could have happened. I believe it had to do with the mount.

Whatever the issue, could the weld have broke? I will have to contact the shop and ask them about it.

But since the driveshaft is still attached you guys are saying that should have no affect on shake unless the driveshaft is rotating?

dude, instead of calling the shop, lay your hands and eyeballs on it, go

Back