home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 05-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Default So I did something stupid

And went and bought this R!

Way too good to pass up.. Didn't really have the money to spend on it, and I DEFINITELY don't have the room for it, buuuuut I made an exception because I figured this was a one-time deal. It's a 1997 850R (duh) with 150k, great paint, and an immaculate interior. Needs nothing. Drove it 1.5hrs home with no hiccups and lots of smiles.

The best part, ITS WHITE! I've wanted an 850R for a long time but wasn't crazy about having a black or red car so it kinda left me dwindled hoping a nice T5 would come along in a reasonable color. P80 cars make for a great daily driver, my blue car was excellent until the dash rattle drove me insane and I parked it (broken cage). The A/C is ice cold in this one so my daughter won't be hot and angry when I pick her up from daycare.

It's slightly modded.. RIP kit, boost controller ~18psi, speedtuning tune, pegs with 225/40/ZR18s, carbon fiber inlay between the taillights that actually looks really good, TME exhaust, BOV, big fuel pump.. few other bits that I'm forgetting and probably some that I haven't found yet.
Edit: Some I was forgetting - has HDs front and rear with some lowering springs. Not sure which brand.

The car is REALLY quick but I'm kinda sad it's modded. I would rather have had something totally stock that way I know anything I need to know is in a manual somewhere or a schematic posted online. Less to figure out.. but regardless, it's mine, and I love it!! Pics!
On the way home:
image ru

Stopped at the old man's place to show her off:
image ru

Showing off continues:
image ru

Made it to the Casa:
image ru

Decided to go out for a bite and a drink, ran into my coworker at Hard Times Cafe - #whitecarclub y'all!:
image ru

Sweet interior:
image ru

Daughter will have a beautiful back seat to terrorize.. gotta figure something out for that :
image ru

Just one more view of that ass:
image ru

Future plans include fixing the curbage on the pegs and having them powdercoated the same color the 350Z wheels are. It's a custom color made by a local shop for him and he still has the mixture code. It's a black/gunmetal mix with a lot of metal flake that really pops in the sunlight. The next thing will be to remove that "R" emblem from the dash.. haven't figured out how to do it yet. Other than that I'd like to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and enjoy it how it is. I've got some maintenance parts on the way just to do them so I know it's at 100%. Timing belt and WP reportedly have 18k on them and it was performed 2015 so I should be good until 200k or overhaul, whichever comes first. If I get really bored this winter maybe I'll try to find an M56 to swap in for some more fun factor and reliability. This thing makes great power and I'm not sure how long the trans will hold up, but it gives me -zero- indication that it's in bad shape. Shifts like new. Might actually be new.. who knows..

I really want to keep this car nice, I'm almost terrified to drive it in fear someone will total it for me. I'm shopping coverage but nobody wants to give me what I want it to be insured for.
'92 245 - Semi-daily, soon to be garaged and +T'd
'97 854R - New daily
'06 XC90 V8 - Family/Grocery Hauler - Wifemobile
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace

Last edited by DMFWallace; 05-23-2017 at 08:04 PM..
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Super clean 850R!!! Super jelly of you. Can I have it when you get tired of it?
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 160k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Nothing stupid about a white 850 R. Although that wood in the dash, Why Volvo, Why??

Very nice car, I am jealous, I sent my wife an 850 T5 I saw on CL about 2 hours ago. I want one.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
SquareD
An Anomaly

Really sharp ARRRRR. Definitely worth continuing it's preservation and enjoyment... Nice find!
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
doucheNozzle

That's clean. Time for some NA bits, better turbo housing and a Vast tune.

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
James10952001
Board Member

That's a nice ride!

Can't for the life of me figure out why the R's all had slushboxes though. I mean come on Volvo, the R should have been manual only if there was no choice!
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
That's a nice ride!

Can't for the life of me figure out why the R's all had slushboxes though. I mean come on Volvo, the R should have been manual only if there was no choice!
Because getting them legal in the US cost a lot and Volvo figured lazy Americans didn't mind. Lots of manual swaps though, Doug did a killer write up on it years ago and I took parts of it to update the process for a write up on Volvospeed in 05 or 06.

Baby that front bumper, they're NLA from Volvo.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Quoting on my phone sucks ass and I left the office for the day but thanks everyone for the positive replies. I'm excited to learn more about these T5s. I have some experience with the n/a 5 from my blue car but never messed with a boosted one.

Saturday I installed a GROM unit and it works awesome. Had snoop dogg on spotify sitting in traffic on the way home. Truly a gangster car. Nice tint, 18s, low, etc hahah.

Does anyone know if 18psi is safe? Should I back it down some? It has a turboXS controller and 2 of the 3 vacuum hoses for the TCV have been cut. Not particularly worried about it, just another thing to learn. Car feels like its making at least 300 lb/ft at that level, spins one of the two 225/40s no problem once it hits in 1st.

About the bumper - apparently the guy before me got away with it but in VA you must have a front license plate. It would kill me to have to drill holes in it so I'm experimenting with zip ties as I write this. Hoping I can utilize the tow hook (which still has its cover!) for the license plate. I'm wary of every raised manhole and speed bump. Would ruin me if I damaged the bumper since its in such nice shape. Part of me wants to park this car in the garage and leave it there forever so nothing happens to it but that defeats the purpose.

Anyone have a good idea about mounting the license plate?

Edit: I have a spare wideband that I plan to install as soon as I get time to drill a hole and weld a bung on. Genuinely curious as to what kind of safety threshold this tune gives.

Last edited by DMFWallace; 05-23-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Clean R! I do still miss her R, we both do. Nice ride!
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

So the license plate bracket is partially solved, I'm officially turbobricking stuff on this car.

Last edited by DMFWallace; 05-23-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
James10952001
Board Member

Pull some neodymium magnets out of old hard drives, glue a couple on the inside of the bumper and attach some to a license plate bracket. Depending on how thick the bumper is that may hold it quite securely. Obviously you'll want to test that before driving around. You could also fabricate a bracket that attaches behind the bumper and wraps up over the bottom.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Yeah I've been brainstorming for a bracket but magnets hadn't even occurred to me! Might look in to that. Think speaker magnets would work? Kinda thick though..
Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
matt b
Board Member

Who tuned it ? Please don't say ARD, please don't say ARD, please don't say ARD

18 psi is fine if the vac lines are intact and the engine is able to act accordingly. Boost spikes are always my biggest fear with a controller, I've heard of engines taking a hit that way.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #14
Mueller
Board Member

Nice car, test drove those when brand new, almost bought a white model exactly like that.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #15
Coupid
Board Member

Congrats, that looks like a really clean car!

1991 780 Sold
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 AM   #16
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Heck of a find. I'm pretty jealous!

Honestly, I'd just maintain it and enjoy it.

(Btw, at least it's the dark wood grain and black, nothing was worse than maple and tan leather :puke.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
spruill242
Board Member

Thank you for buying this! I was watching that car for a while. If it was a wagon it would have been even worse! Good buy for sure.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #18
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

don't forget the delrin subframe bushings. makes a world of difference
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
ErikS
FWD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
Quoting on my phone sucks ass and I left the office for the day but thanks everyone for the positive replies. I'm excited to learn more about these T5s. I have some experience with the n/a 5 from my blue car but never messed with a boosted one.

Saturday I installed a GROM unit and it works awesome. Had snoop dogg on spotify sitting in traffic on the way home. Truly a gangster car. Nice tint, 18s, low, etc hahah.

Does anyone know if 18psi is safe? Should I back it down some? It has a turboXS controller and 2 of the 3 vacuum hoses for the TCV have been cut. Not particularly worried about it, just another thing to learn. Car feels like its making at least 300 lb/ft at that level, spins one of the two 225/40s no problem once it hits in 1st.

About the bumper - apparently the guy before me got away with it but in VA you must have a front license plate. It would kill me to have to drill holes in it so I'm experimenting with zip ties as I write this. Hoping I can utilize the tow hook (which still has its cover!) for the license plate. I'm wary of every raised manhole and speed bump. Would ruin me if I damaged the bumper since its in such nice shape. Part of me wants to park this car in the garage and leave it there forever so nothing happens to it but that defeats the purpose.

Anyone have a good idea about mounting the license plate?

Edit: I have a spare wideband that I plan to install as soon as I get time to drill a hole and weld a bung on. Genuinely curious as to what kind of safety threshold this tune gives.
You need a wideband asap, get one in and that will let you know if the tune is safe. Is it on the stock 15G/16T? You're getting the one tire fire from the open differential. I seriously doubt you are close to 300hp.

If you do a manual swap, get a LSD, upgrade the turbo, and get a tune from Aaron http://vasttuning.com/

Welcome to the WWD Volvo club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Truth, made a huge difference for me.
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #20
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Thanks again for the replies and wisdom, will quote/reply individually once I'm in front of a computer. Found a bad vac elbow last night for what I assume is the FPR so gonna fix that tonight once I'm home.
From memory:
Ben, I'll get the subframe bushings asap. They're definitely on the list!

Doug, yes, extremely grateful this didn't have the tan/maple. It looked awful when new and even worse 20 years later. Love the dark interior with the dark wood, really feel like I hit the jackpot. And yes, stage 0 and enjoyment is the goal here.
Edit: the interior colors and condition of them were a couple of the main reasons I couldn't pass this car up!

Erik, wideband coming soon for sure. Want to see what this tune is doing and its just a good thing to have to easily spot danger. Not 300hp by any means, maybe 250 but the torque is very impressive at anything less than 5k rpm. Definitely making more than that in torque, the thing plants me in the chair taking off. Has a 15g not sure if its original but my assumption would be yes. Probably not 300 lb/ft but it's gotta be knocking on the door. Thank you for the link and as soon as I get a wide band and see what's going on I'll investigate tunes.

Matt B, previous owner stated its a "speedtuning" tune, going to open the box later and see if the ECU has any label or identification as to what it is.

Haven't been getting on the car much because of the bad vac elbow. Things are still going smooth though. Has a little whine on cold start. Sounds like PS pump noise but I want to take the serp belt off and check the idler. Maybe turbo? Idk. Haven't really investigated yet. Still solid though. Pulls 20 inches cold and hot in park, little less than that in gear.

Last edited by DMFWallace; 05-25-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #21
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Okay, the only thing I know about the ECU is it has, as best I can tell, "John Dillon" written on both broad sides of the ECU..
Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #22
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Can't stress this enough. Admittedly, I had already popped for the IPD poly inserts into the existing mounts (which were in pretty amazing shape on mine) when I found out about these. The difference is considerable either route you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
Haven't been getting on the car much because of the bad vac elbow. Things are still going smooth though. Has a little whine on cold start. Sounds like PS pump noise but I want to take the serp belt off and check the idler. Maybe turbo? Idk. Haven't really investigated yet. Still solid though. Pulls 20 inches cold and hot in park, little less than that in gear.
My R has something similar, but it sounds mechanical (see #7 below). I warm it up religiously and drive easy for the first mile or three. Once that's done, it's on!

Now that I got the old lady an LR3, I'm going to keep the motor and tranny from her T5 as backups (maybe even rebuild both).

Yours is absolutely gorgeous in white BTW!

Anyway, my feelings on P80 R ownership.

1) Awesome part throttle poke! Great for tighter technical roads where you still want some thrust but you don't really have the space or attitude to floor it.

2) TRACS is a joke! Better off to turn it off. "IF" it's able at all to catch wheel spin, all it does is slip - grip - slip - grip in a jerky way like an old washing machine.

3) Kind of sensitive to throttle lift off. More than I figured it would be. Wound up backing it in on a wet day once. HPF!!!!!! Be smooth transitioning off the gas when entering a braking zone while turning!

4) Smooth vs rough roads. Mine likes to skip over bumps at entries and I don't think it's that stiff! I'm running Canistos on mine (Volans in storage) with '45's but I'd like something with a little softer sidewall.

5) FIX THAT DASH if it hasn't already been done.

6) TAKE CARE jacking up and putting it on jack stands. P80's are dumb in this respect. I've never felt comfortable under these things. That last time I was under there I used a floor jack, 4 jack stands, and old 2/7/9 jacks on the sides before I felt comfortable!

7) Power Steering pump doesn't use power steering fluid!!!!! Luckily I figured this out on the old ladys T5.

8) It definitely under steers on the gas. Only once was it off throttle. Just in a little fast and wet. Otherwise, and if you're cracking on, try not to hammer it too hard at exits. If you do, and it starts spinning, try easing off a couple of degrees of steering. I've found this helps me regain some traction without just plain letting out of the gas.

9) I'm forever chasing the volume since the stereo likes to adjust up and down with vehicle speed. My BMW did this but it was less drastic.

Overall they are kick ass performance sedans!!!! Tons of room and tons of trunk space. There are even big frame rails at the back which are great for hooking up hitches. Excellent on road trips to bike parks and fun 6/10ths to 7/10ths mountain road carving.

Still not sure if I'm going to keep it. E60 550i's and 996's are calling me in my sleep.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
Can't stress this enough. Admittedly, I had already popped for the IPD poly inserts into the existing mounts (which were in pretty amazing shape on mine) when I found out about these. The difference is considerable either route you go.

My R has something similar, but it sounds mechanical (see #7 below). I warm it up religiously and drive easy for the first mile or three. Once that's done, it's on!

Now that I got the old lady an LR3, I'm going to keep the motor and tranny from her T5 as backups (maybe even rebuild both).

Yours is absolutely gorgeous in white BTW!

Anyway, my feelings on P80 R ownership.

1) Awesome part throttle poke! Great for tighter technical roads where you still want some thrust but you don't really have the space or attitude to floor it.

2) TRACS is a joke! Better off to turn it off. "IF" it's able at all to catch wheel spin, all it does is slip - grip - slip - grip in a jerky way like an old washing machine.

3) Kind of sensitive to throttle lift off. More than I figured it would be. Wound up backing it in on a wet day once. HPF!!!!!! Be smooth transitioning off the gas when entering a braking zone while turning!

4) Smooth vs rough roads. Mine likes to skip over bumps at entries and I don't think it's that stiff! I'm running Canistos on mine (Volans in storage) with '45's but I'd like something with a little softer sidewall.

5) FIX THAT DASH if it hasn't already been done.

6) TAKE CARE jacking up and putting it on jack stands. P80's are dumb in this respect. I've never felt comfortable under these things. That last time I was under there I used a floor jack, 4 jack stands, and old 2/7/9 jacks on the sides before I felt comfortable!

7) Power Steering pump doesn't use power steering fluid!!!!! Luckily I figured this out on the old ladys T5.

8) It definitely under steers on the gas. Only once was it off throttle. Just in a little fast and wet. Otherwise, and if you're cracking on, try not to hammer it too hard at exits. If you do, and it starts spinning, try easing off a couple of degrees of steering. I've found this helps me regain some traction without just plain letting out of the gas.

9) I'm forever chasing the volume since the stereo likes to adjust up and down with vehicle speed. My BMW did this but it was less drastic.

Overall they are kick ass performance sedans!!!! Tons of room and tons of trunk space. There are even big frame rails at the back which are great for hooking up hitches. Excellent on road trips to bike parks and fun 6/10ths to 7/10ths mountain road carving.

Still not sure if I'm going to keep it. E60 550i's and 996's are calling me in my sleep.
Thanks! Delrin bushings are on the list! I'm already over budget with two full boxes of replacement parts so they're gonna wait 'till june probably.

1) Agreed! Love the feel of the car at part throttle and there's almost no reason to rev it above 4500. It gets choked up-top with the 15g anyway.. The trip home started with like 30 miles of twisties going through the countryside of Charlottesville/Lousia Virginia. Great view, fun roads!

2) Not quite sure what's up with the TRACS or if this has a rebuilt module on it that doesn't have TRACS programming - the light on the dash does not come on with the key with the other lights, the button does nothing, and it spins no problem with no beating and banging so I have to assume either it doesn't work or has been disabled, which I'm totally fine with. Don't need no steenking traction control and this car will never see winter weather while I own it.

3) I always try to avoid snapping the throttle shut although the TurboXS BOV sounds pretty cool, but if I back it down to 50% quickly and then gently shut it it sounds equally cool! I've driven my '96 GLT pretty hard in the past and only had the ass end step out once - that was enough learning for me It was wet (like you said) and I was on a pretty slick on-ramp to 95N, came up on a rollback pulling a car out of the inside ditch which happened ALL THE TIME on that ramp when it was raining. 100% chance of seeing a car down there any time it rained. Snapped throttle shut and leaned on brakes a little too hard. Didn't lose it but I could see then just how easy it was to get it out of shape.

4) Lots of rough roads around here. I'm pretty safe while I'm in town, lived here all my life and know where every rough patch and pothole is so I'm pretty good at avoiding them at this point. However whenever I go out I have to keep a good following distance so I can see holes coming, do NOT want to have to replace a peg.. but yeah, this thing rides like a stick horse with the 40's and HDs

5) Please elaborate? The dash is in great shape compared to my GLT, but if there's a problem area I need to preemptively fix let me know!

6) Yeah with my GLT I always jacked it up using the front core support and put stands at the rear subframe "plates" that tie the subframe bushing to the frame rails, jack up the rear in the middle where the delta link arms cross then one jackstand each on the ends of the delta link arms. Just have to make sure it doesn't get too far out of level.. Had to do some tricky placement and use the frame rails when I swapped subframes from a parts 855 GLT to my 854 GLT after a hit-and-run damaged my subframe/knuckle/fender/control arm/steering rack/yada yada

7) Once I secure an owner's manual I'll check and see what fluid is supposed to be in there. Probably trans fluid but not sure if it uses the same Ford fluid with friction modifiers as 240s are supposed to use..

8) I got pretty used to the understeer in my GLT but that only ever occured 1: on purpose and 2: in the wet. I'm sure it will scare me if it happens in this R on dry pavement so I'm going to take it nice and easy for a while until I learn the power band while cornering hard. Same power without boost and twice as much power with boost compared to my GLT so I'm sure I'll have to make some changes.

9) Haven't had that happen that I know of? Then again the only time I've had the stereo up was sitting in traffic at 0-15mph, so perhaps I haven't run into it yet.. I typically keep the radio off, I like listening to the car

Yeah, for a nice family car this really is my personal cream of the crop. Excellent trunk space and adequate rear leg room for the little one and perhaps a couple of buddies that need a DD. Never been impressed by rear headroom but my GLT had a sagging headliner in the rear, maybe this car will be different. Rarely have people in my back seat other than my daughter but I do like that it has a LOT more room than my 240s do. Still thrilled with the car! Absolutely love the comfort of the seats and the torque and the dash is pleasant to look at and doesn't rattle excessively.. Only thing that I want to change about the interior will be the single gauge pod (which looks like ****) will become a 3-gauge pod and the existing boost gauge has GOT to go. It's an autometer that lights up green with the lights and it's absolutely BLINDING. I have to cover it with my hand to back up using the driver's side mirror at night and cannot see the road making left turns. Going to go with VDO vision boost and oil temp with the wideband somewhere in the mix.

Thanks again for the replies and advice guys!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #24
BDKR
Section 9

Sounds like you've got experience dealing with P80s. Quirky but fun cars.

I would like to get mine to the 300hp range and address some other issues. Should be starting that project next month.
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #25
DanMarino
Board Member

I like it!
DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote