• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

PART 2: Advance/retard timing on EZ116K

F

frpe82

You guys remember this thread, right?: Advance/retard timing on EZ116K

Here comes part 2, overkill...

The circuit diagrams are made in a simple program for illustration only, so please don?t comment on the quality of my schematics.

Now that you know that, let?s begin.

For the love of god, don?t do this mod if...

* You are not familiar with the sound of knock/ping.
* You do not understand the implications this might have on your engine.
* You do not have any basic electronics and/or fault-tracing skills.

The results will be disastrous if you don?t know what you are doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all: This mod will not be acting in the same logical way as the mechanical retard/advance from turning the distributor you may be familiar with on/from the LH2.2 system.

This mod will alter the base values used in the algorithms and logarithms of the chip in the ECU, and will not be a linear function like the statical change in ignition timing on LH2.2.

This mod will work on both turbo and NA, both chipped and stock EZK. Although I recommend that this mod is done on the chipped EZK since that chip has the optimal ignition curve. The stock EZK doesn?t. Trust me, I promise you that by all that is holy.

On the stock EZK you may get some "holes" in the ignition map with too much or too little ignition advance, and the mod you make will be somewhat of a compromise between off-boost and on-boost power or a compromise between high rpm or low rpm power.

Either way, any of the EZK?s will be somewhat tuneable, chipped or not.

For this mod we will use one or both of the following: Pin #2 and pin #8 on the EZK.

We'll start with pin #2 on the EZK:

* Connected to the coolant sensor (ECT) in the head.

* Unlike the LH2.4 fuel side, the ECT when connected to the EZK is not used to determine when the engine is fully warmed up, and when to stop using the parameters in the cold-running map (in the LH2.4 fuel ECU this means more fuel injected when the car is colder than ~65*C).

* The voltage fed to this pin will read ~1.5V when the coolant temperature is between summer and winter thermostat setting. At this time, the ignition map in the EZK will be un-altered, and the car will be running like intended.

* The voltage drops when the engine gets hotter, and rises when the engine gets colder.

So what can we do? What is the mod you are talking about?

Advancing and retarding the ignition.
Some safety against knock/ping because the function of rising engine temperature is sustained.

Component list:
* One 10 KOhm potentiometer of your choice (for ease of installation).
* Two 1 KOhm resistors.
* Two 470 Ohm resistors.

AdvanceRetardLH22andLH24.png

This mod will give you the ability to adjust the output from the ECT between ~50% and ~170% of its current voltage (at normal engine temperatures), and thereby giving you a stepless control over the ignition advance and retard.

Since it is adjusting the output of the ECT and not a fixed voltage supply, the ignition advance/retard as an effect of cylinder head temperature still works. It will not work exactly in the same way as stock though.

Once you have tried the potentiometer and you know which values works best under certain circumstances (race gas at the track, a hot day in traffic etc.), you can of course substitute the potentiometer with an array of select resistors to have a few known predetermined steps/setups to use.

I will continue this article/post soon, so stay tuned...

Then I will also add how to make a working/successful mod for EZK pin #8 to be able to adjust the timing retard/advance in accordance to load and mass-flow through the AMM.

See you soon,
Fredrik

Last edited:
**** looks liek i just picked up 50whp hahaha

fred your lack of aim talk theswe days is really making your fanclub (me) upset

very very nice! I can use some extra timing options (not just static extra advance) now im running with a lot of E85 in the tank!
Another neat LH/EZK trick :-D

Fred, 12 - 15 hours ....., man you make me crazy :-P

I'm curious about what you've hatched this time ....
OK... so it took 18 hours, but I think that you will all be pleased when it is finished.

The article/post is not done as you might see, so please don?t start a discussion about it just yet.

I will however accept that you all tell me how excited you are and how useful it might be... :lol:

Ok, ok...

I will throw in a little teaser for you:

Instead of using a general potentiometer like the one mentioned in the first post, you can use this...

It is adjustable from 0-999 parts of a thousand. Adjustable enough for you guys? Easy to set up the correct ignition retard/advance?

Oh... and it looks like the housing has the same shape and fitment as the Volvo buttons for the foglight etc. that you put in the dash :-D

really phat idea, do you sleeping on tech books or who gives you such grazy tip's :)
I am a technical engineer with the emphasis on digital circuit design and fault-tracing.

These things are easy as pie for me. :cool:

Oh... and I am the chip guy :-P

Just thinking about how i can work on a link from your mod and this circuit: http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/knock.html

because i'm actually searching for a knock circuit which can handle my T+Kit solenoid .....
What are you really looking for? What do you actually want to do?

A knock warning light?

Or something to happen when knock occurs?

EDIT:// I didn?t get that you were actually asking a question about the T+ solenoid...

Do you have a complete Turbo+ system installed? Because if you do, then Turbo+ will lower the boost when/if dangerous knock occurs.

What are you really looking for? What do you actually want to do?

A knock warning light?

Or something to happen when knock occurs?
Yes and Yes :)

EDIT:// I didn?t get that you were actually asking a question about the T+ solenoid...

Do you have a complete Turbo+ system installed? Because if you do, then Turbo+ will lower the boost when/if dangerous knock occurs.

Yes, T+ is installed, but the T+ circuit is offline. If i want more boost as stock, i switch it on (the solenoid) with a normal switch which is installed near the foglight (it's a second foglight switch...), so the boost rises not only on full trottle and more than 4000U, the boost rises immediately.

And now i'm searching for a circuit, witch switches the solenoid off in case of knocking (or i can do something else with this signal), since i'm also plan to install a overboost-function (additional to the T+Kit), so i have one reason more to find a solution.

The Plan is, to run with stock boost on gas and with the T+ activated incl. overboost on E85.

Last edited:
Back