• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 242 Paint Colors-Window Source ???

bartman

I am having a bear of a time trying to figure out a color to paint the 242 V8. I am thinking something that is currently being used by another car company :), perhaps BMW or maybe Fiat, or ? Or, should I just use a Volvo color...(boring). I am putting this question to all Tbrickers for their highly valued opinions.
I spent last week scraping, stripping, etc. and am ready to pull the windows out, which brings up the second part of title, where should I order the front and rear windows? I live rural Midwest.
thanks

Got a 'Projects' thread going? You do the V8 or trying to bring it back?

The windshield and rear lite should be available from any glass man. The front is going to come with rubber trim and your old metal is not going to be usable. Unless requested you are going to get 5/8" trim. Tell the glass man you want 3/4".

You should probably pop the rear glass out complete with it's seal and trim then clean and silicone it and rope it back in after painting.

Got a 'Projects' thread going? You do the V8 or trying to bring it back?

The windshield and rear lite should be available from any glass man. The front is going to come with rubber trim and your old metal is not going to be usable. Unless requested you are going to get 5/8" trim. Tell the glass man you want 3/4".

No need for that if you're painting and starting with a clean slate.

Last edited:
I sanded the original glass trim line out of the paint into the primer, primed and sanded flat . . . again and still ended up with a mark outside of the original mark.

The larger rubber trim is the same price . . . and easily available.

You did it wrong.

82245GLTPaint242.jpg

82245GLTPaint243.jpg

Thanks-I just cut the weatherstripping off the front and rear to facilitate the removal process . The rear was so bad you couldn’t see out of it, the electric lines somehow faded or corroded.
Good advice on the wider trim ��
Any color suggestions ?

Rear glass is the same as any 244. Probably best to look for one of those in a junkyard or dismantler, together with the rubber seal. You can get inside the car and push the rear glass out with your feet, slowly and carefully, to remove the glass and seal without damaging either.

For your color choice, go to a mall and look at all the cars an see what color you like, note the model and year.

I have been looking at new car paint for the last few months and kinda like the taupe colors that jeep has. Also, the new Yukon has a good looking Taupe.
Just got a $100 quote for a DYI windshield, I am waiting for a rear window quote. The gal who I talked to didn?t have a 3/4 wide trim to quote...anyone have a phone no. I could call? The wider trim sounds like a good idea.
How do you disconnect rear window electric?

The places in this area can't get you larger window trim because the trim comes preinstalled with the windshield. Now a year later that crappy small trim is pulling away. So if you can get a windshield with a large trim like it's supposed to be that will look much better.

You do realize that if you go back from current day to 1960's that every volvo color available to you is almost the same as a color from any other manufacturer? Or just pick one.. Or do one of those kick ass brushed metal / surface rust / clear coat jobs? :)

I am having a bear of a time trying to figure out a color to paint the 242 V8. I am thinking something that is currently being used by another car company :), perhaps BMW or maybe Fiat, or ? Or, should I just use a Volvo color...(boring). I am putting this question to all Tbrickers for their highly valued opinions.
I spent last week scraping, stripping, etc. and am ready to pull the windows out, which brings up the second part of title, where should I order the front and rear windows? I live rural Midwest.
thanks

I was able to salvage the rear window on the 242, will the trim that IPD sells for the ‘91-‘93 240’s fit my 1980?
I am thinking that the Peral Grey is what I am going with, is it considered a “current” color?

I was able to salvage the rear window on the 242, will the trim that IPD sells for the ‘91-‘93 240’s fit my 1980?
I am thinking that the Peral Grey is what I am going with, is it considered a “current” color?

Lol that's just black 3/8" 3M wheel arch beading, of course it will but it'll still look like somebody slapped black wheel arch beading on the side of your car.

Oh and BTW there's an edit post button if you need to fix a post.

My question, more clearly, concerned the rear window seals that IPD has. About $75 bucks if I recall. Will the seal work with the older glass? I am assuming it will but needed to ask the experts here on TB

I am not planning any trim at all, having removed all emblems and filed, welded 50+holes �� We went so far as to fix the weld at the rear pillar where the little triangular piece sat.

Back