• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'91 Volvo 740 -- B230F+T Boost

HighMans

Currently I'm running a '91 740 B230F+T, it has a TD04-13c on it with an IPD Turbo cam, Chipped ECU & soon to be chipped EZK. I should get a proper boost gauge (currently using the shoddy stock one), however -- when does boost usually kick in?

If I'm at 3k-4k RPMs, I can see the boost gauge go a quarter of the way over the middle, but anything below that while driving and I'm consistently under the middle mark if not in the middle. I don't know if that's normal (again need to get a boost gauge), or if I've some plumbing or a failure with the actuator or CBV.

Any thoughts?

Eh definitely get a quality boost gauge and (if you don’t have one) wideband to monitor AFRs.. I have a similar setup with a manual boost controller and I usually have boost before 3k and full boost by 4K.

Those two instruments are pretty helpful with diagnostics

not sure if this is true of all the oem boost gauges, but i found mine to be be pretty consistent. I ran a couple weeks after I +T 'd my 240 with a calibrated gauge and then swapped to stock. the line between outline and yellow matched up with the transition from vacuum to boost and the line between yellow and red at 8 psi (which i believe is stock boost level for a 13c on a redblock)

So update: I'm running at ~5psi boost. I'm thinking I can run a bit more for sure, so I've ordered a boost controller and will be adjusting the amount of boost soon. I feel like, although being a NA engine, with a cam, ecu/ezk chips, bigger injectors, a turbo ecu/ezk and an adjustable cam gear -- I can stand to run a bit more than 5 psi boost.

it should make 5psi by like 2500 rpms.. basically in the amount of time it takes you to get your foot to the floor it should be at max boost with a 13c. Any exhaust leaks?

Back