• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Front upper spring seat noise?

naterhater

I had been running cut springs in my 940 for a while and decided to go back to a full height stock spring. So I replaced the springs and nothing else. I took out the cut springs and installed a set of new stock springs using the same bushings, hardware, and assembly sequence.

For the first half-day or so this was completely fine. Then after a while the right front started to clunk. Upon further investigation, when the car is sitting on the ground, all 4 corners taking full weight, the RF spring feels loose and is making a horrendous amount of noise over even the smallest bumps. The bottom is seated properly, I didn't lose any bushings or anything, all the fasteners are tight. I even took that corner apart again and made sure the upper strut mount and bearing were all seated correctly.

Since taking it apart and reassembling again the noise is worse. On the left you can reach in and the spring feels tight like it should. On the right you reach in and the top of the spring has room to wiggle, even with the weight of the car on it. This is 100% whats causing the noise.

But what on earth could possibly be the explanation for the looseness!? My gut reaction is to say the rubber piece between the spring itself and the supper strut mount bearing is bad, but then it should have been clunking with the old cut springs. I can't even find that rubber piece anywhere, IPD doesnt carry it or a ****ty knock off, FCP euro doesnt have it, and i have no idea what the part number would be.

Any ideas?

There must be something in there taking the weight off if the spring is loose. Are you sure the strut inserts are good? Most don't last long riding on cut springs. The stock setup has a bump stop inside the shock. Maybe that or some other valve or something inside the strut is damaged?

I went out and shook it again this evening and felt around on both sides to see if i missed anything. The RF gland nut was loose. It wasnt totally backed off but it was loose enough that the whole assembly had room to move. I'll definitely be tightening that this weekend, luckily i didn't put too many miles in it like that. I guess changing stuff around was enough to let it work loose.

Back