• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Flexplate problem

IceCold4x4

Ok so since blowing my old motor i snagged a recently rebuilt oil squirter engine out of a junk yard. Problem is it was a manual distributor car. So i tried using my flexplate and it seems that now the flex plate hits the starter area? there is a spacer between the crank and the flexplate but it seems like maybe it needs more? I'm sure there's something obvious i'm forgetting. It's going in a megasquirted 92 940.

Pics below

faafa6c6.jpg

0834813d.jpg

Can't wait to get this sucker back on the road.

ya there is a spacer there. question is are there different spacers either for a LH2.2 Flexplate or LH2.4 flexplate? what else could be causing that to be soo cozy with the starter area. btw once the transmission and torque converter are attached it's enough to prevent the engine from being turned over with a 3 foot breaker bar . . .

Is it hitting on both sides or only one? if one side then maybe the flexplate is bent.

If it is hitting on both sides then you are using the wrong spacer

both sides

so there are different spacers?

also it appears that at one point there may have been washers in between the flexplate and that spacer as there are clean circles of metal on both sides like if there was a washer crushed in there?

anyone got a measurement of what the spacer should be? i'd guess mine is between 7 and 8 mm

Don't have an exact measurement, but what you've posted sounds about right. There shouldn't be any washers on the backside either.

As a point of reference, it appears you've still got the pilot bushing in the end of the crank. That should be held in tight with the flexplate and not have any play in the crank in either direction. If that's tight but not holding the flexplate from tightening up, chances are you've got the right spacer, and just a bent flexplate.

I've got a spare flexplate if you need measurements or pic's. It came from my 2.4 car, and was fine on both the 90 and the 94 block's, but I used spacers that were from the same block, since the 90 and 94 blocks had the same thickness spacer's.

The flex plate bottoms out on the back of the block and that bearing isn't being held in tight it can shake a bit in there measurement on my spacer is 7.5 mm and the budging is 28 mm

My 94 940 did that too - and that was just after a standard rebuilt. I even replaced the flexplate. :e-shrug:

I ended up spacing out the starter with a couple of big washers - had to grind them a bit to fit up against the block.

Sounds like you may have a bent flexplate. If the center isn't in as far as needed to hold the bushing, but the gear is grinding, there's an issue...

Also looks almost like it's a Regina plate instead of a 2.4 plate, looking at the tone ring.

i honestly don't remember what the flexplate came off of does anyone have a good picture of the flex plate that should be on a 92 940 turbo automatic? the engine has a distributer, but it's been rebuilt with oil squirters so i'm not exactly sure what the heck i got out of the junk yard.

My 94 940 did that too - and that was just after a standard rebuilt. I even replaced the flexplate. :e-shrug:

I ended up spacing out the starter with a couple of big washers - had to grind them a bit to fit up against the block.

it's not hitting the starter itself it's hitting the block where the starter is. and on the opposite side of the block too. which that says to me it's not a bent flexplate as the rub is constant when you turn the engine over. More like i've got either the wrong flexplate or spacer setup.

I did swap out the torque converter when i started to assemble the engine and tranny with my torque converter because it was stalled higher than stock. could i have possibly over tightend the torque converer and caused it to evenly bend the flexplate???

I thought there was a rather thick 8-hole disc that would go on the crank. I know that there's a thin 8-hole washer-like disc on the front side because I saved one from an auto to use with my aluminum flywheel.

towerymt - There is a 7.5 mm thick 8 hole disc / spacer in between the crank and flexplate. Though I have no clue if there is more than one size of spacer or if they made different flexplates. . .

BTW Chiltons repair manuals suck!

so question what did the flex plate i have come off of? i thought i used the one that came off this engine from the junk yard and used my torque converter. should i try to see if i kept my old flexplate?

if i have to go get a new flexplate what year / model car should i be looking for?

btw i'm gonna assume that these have to be put on in the correct orientation where does the arrow point to and where should the motor be in it's rotation to make it line up. (wow i hadn't thought about that untill i saw your picture.

Minor detail. :-P

The mark I made was simply when I swapped plates to verify it wasn't causing noise. From memory, with the engine at #1 TDC, the missing hole goes by the starter upper bolt roughly. It'll be within a range, but it'll be pretty close.

Also, notice on yours, there's 2 missing teeth via a hole, where the 2.4 plate is a solid plate. Regina is a 40-2 vs. 2.4 being 60-2 I believe.

Go see if you can find your old one, otherwise anything 90+ and non-regina should be the same. Grab the spacer from it as well. ;-)

Bringing an old thread back from the dead...

Ive got this same issue. Im swapping a B230FT into my suzuki samurai and am getting so close, only to notice this issue today, after I have the transmission and everything all installed already...

I used the flexplate I got with the AW71 from a 94 940 turbo at the junkyard, but while i was there I missed the spacer and ended up getting one shipped from a turbobricker.

I never anticipated that there would potentially be 2 different flexplate/spacer combos and totally blew it.

What do I need to be looking for to fix this damn mess im in!?

Back