• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sjefke's 1972 P1800ES T5 Project

SjefkeHuppelkei

Hello everybody!
Picked up this project about half a year ago and it is finally time to share it with you guys!

The history of the car probably goes way back, but the things I know about it are limited to the last 10 years. It's originally an English P1800ES and therefore RHD. The guy I bought it from brought it from England to the Netherlands around 10 years ago and since then took all the things he needed for restoring his ES. He kept the remainings in his shed ever since and that's where I came in and bought it as my project.

The love for Volvo's has only begun a couple of years ago when I first bought a C30, which was chipped and slightly modified (Bilstein B6's, PUR bushings all around etc). A really nice looking and fun to drive car. Too bad it didn't last long, after a year the timing belt shattered and the engine was gone. After this I bought a '66 Amazon 2 door, '99 V70 T5 (daily) and then the ES. For this project, a dirt-cheap totalled 2001 S60 T5 was purchased.

The main goal for the project is to get a nice (LHD) sleeper with enough torque to get around in traffic. And maybe win a couple of traffic light sprints :).

Some of the things I definitely wanted was to keep it all Volvo parts, to start with a B5234t with an M90, drive shaft from a 960, brakes from the S60 etc.

Enough talking, here are the pictures of the day I purchased the ES:

Found like this:

Fresh out of the barn, seeing sunlight for the first time in years:

Together with the V70:

Donor car:

Check also instagram for small updates and pictures: https://www.instagram.com/volvo_p1800es_t5/
Hope you guys will appreciate this project and will keep you posted! Cheers

Last edited:
By all means, keep the Playboy Bunny sticker on the rear valence! Priceless......

Goodluck, looking forward to seeing a whiteblock in that 1800ES.

Will try to keep the sticker as long as possible, but it will get a paint job in the end so maybe it has to go one day.

First of all I cleaned the car from it's dust.
Slowly started to take apart the whole car and tried to not touch the grinder for a couple of stuck bolts. In the end, only one bolt broke and had to be drilled.

This was during the summer when I had the chance to cheaply rent a huge garage at a friends place. It was an old school building where in the past the students were taking apart cars. Ideal for disassembling my ES and S60. Unfortunately, he had to move out due to a new owner and I had to take the cars with me to a new place.

This is the new home of the car:

Cheers!

Cleaned the rear axle, front cross member and got the shortened oil pan back from the workshop. In order to fit everything under the hood and clearing the inner fenders, the turbo is relocated. The turbo is flipped 180 degrees so it faces forward and a little (very professional) mockup for a spacer is created to see if it all fits. Results will be clear in this weekend since I haven't had the time to do it anymore.

Cheers!

Update

First of all, happy new year everybody!

I've made little progress over the last couple of weeks. Lots of christmas holiday drinks and food, so only little time to work on the car.

In the mean time decided to not take the stock rear axle and go for the inevitable choice of a more durable rear axle. This weekend I can pick up one from a '90 240. Not exactly sure if this is the 1030 or 1031 by the pictures the seller send me but it will either way be a lot better than the original P1800's.

Anybody that nows more of these rear axles? These are the pictures he send me:

The sump is back after another trip to the workshop in Poland where the first time the welding wasn't done perfect. The sump didn't fit so I had to send it back and wait again. This time they did their job quick and the sump fits nicely!

Removed the flywheel, since the DMF had a lot of play and I want to swap it for a single mass version. With the very professional locking method:

Drilled out the extra holes in the turbo cooling feed lines for mounting it upside down. This way the supply and return of the oil lines are in the same position. Still have to make thread for the banjo fittings. And of course plug the other side.

After fitting in the original radiator, it becomes clear that the available space is very limited and I have to think of another position for the alternator since it will interfere with the steering box. This is what it will be like under the hood:

Cheers!

That rear axle is a 1030. It's no stronger than the 1800E rear axle. The only thing worth using would be the 3.54 ring and pinion.

Edit:

The late 240 parts catalog does show 1216341 as a 1031. Remove the rear cover and see if there are notches for the ring gear in the case.

housing%20cutout%201031%2030.jpg

Left - 1031 with casting cutouts in outer case---Right 1031 without cutout.

Last edited:
Hi Eric (or Ian?), both have the notches. Remove the gasket and.... tata
Wrong from the ANU website
1030 and 1031 did share the same housing at that time (don't know the time precise)
still the right is a 1030 with 41:11, which will be a 3.73:1 (really common)
the left is a 1031 with 41:13, which will be a 3.15:1 (the longest standart Volvo 140/160/200/700/900 rear end I know)

All from storage at my brain, not 100% shure it matches with the reality ;-)

first time I noticed something not 100% right from you ;-)

have a nice day, Kay

the rear end Sjefke will pick up is a 1031, very shure . With 3.54:1 ratio, like on the sticker noticed.
No ABS and No diff lock

Last edited:
the rear end Sjefke will pick up is a 1031, very shure . With 3.54:1 ratio, like on the sticker noticed.
No ABS and No diff lock

Thanks for the information, guys! This is something very confusing, since there are a lot of contradictions on various websites.

The 3,54 ratio is definitely the one I wanted in combination with the whiteblock and the M90 gearbox. This way I come close to the overall gear ratio of the S60.

Cheers!

It's been a while since I updated this thread.
A lot is been done, picked up the rear axle and chopped off the original 240 supports.

I've made cutouts in the oil pan and had it welded by a colleague. It passed the 'water-leakage test' the second time. First time some little droplets leaked through.

Further I'm sandblasting all the front suspension parts after work whenever I have time and get them ready for powdercoating. I want the complete rear axle to be powdercoated as well after I've mounted the P1800 brackets on there.

Also removed the PCV system and discovered some gunk...

Those oil pan cuts look similar to what I did. I imagine that's what we can expect needing at this point to clearance the control arms. That level of gunk in the pcv system is normal honestly. I generally just clean it out and move on, I've only seen it be an issue when the port is clogged up.

Update

And again it's been a long time since I've posted something here. Most updates I do are on Instagram, but every now and then I want to show something on here.

Other things have delayed the project as well, a broken timing gear on the Amazon and a rush of fixing it before my sisters wedding. Just before that the alternator of my daily V70 T5 died, so I had to fix that. Since my weekends to work on (any) car are scarce, this stopped the work on the ES for a month or so. After this was all done and the Amazon is back to it's winter sleep, it's time to get some things done in the shed.

First of all I've made a mover to raise the body of the ES and get the engine in and out more quickly. It's still a little hassle with the crane I've got but manageable.

Than I made some hoisting gear to lift the engine and gearbox at an angle of 12 degrees (the designed tilt of the engine). This is something I had to think of and try a couple of times to get it right. I've got a balancer, but that's only for one direction.

After centering the engine and balancing it in longitudinal direction it was time to get the motor mounts in the right position. At first I wanted to use the original motor mounts on the cross member, but those are at weird angles and positioned way up front. I decided to make my own and simplify this a little bit.

Then I welded some bends together to get the turbo in the right position. Since the exhaust manifold was to close to the body, the turbo had to be raised. But just enough so the bonnet still closes. This was a pain in the ass to get it cut and welded right. Don't know if the welds are good enough, might want to go and do this all over again in the future. But for now I think it's enough to have it in the right position.

The front disc brakes of the S60 are reused in this car and can fit nicely with the adapter plates. In the beginning the hole for the wheel hub was a little too small, so I made it slightly bigger on the lathe. This way there wasn't much material left, so have to design this a little bit different.

For now I'm waiting on a couple of things that are to be made on the laserjet: gearbox mount, new redesigned brake caliper adapters, motor mounts to weld onto the cross member and the adapter plates for the rear axle. Hopefully this will be in in a couple of weeks. Hope I can find some more time in between to do some updates on TB!

Back