• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Head Issues

riseosiris

Modem Killa
Hey guys, this isn't volvo related, but I was hoping for some "experienced" advice =o) We're in the middle of doing a head-gasket replacement on my cousin's '91 BMW 535iM. It overheated and blew the gasket on the #6 cyl. The head is straight with no apparent warpage or cracks. Unfortunately due to an errant hammer whack the #3 cylinder head got a ding in the rim. (the head bolts were literally siezed in the head itself due to a build up of the nastiest gunk I've ever seen). From what I can tell, the ding is small enough that the the headgasket ring should more than cover it (see the trace of the old gasket). Do y'all think this would pose an issue either immediate (headgasket won't seal) or long-term (headgasket fails in 50k miles...) I've never been one to take the cheap or easy way out, but he's just out of college, money is really tight (why we're doing it) and time is a major factor (need it done by next week if at all possible). Here are some pics:

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

Thoughts?

Actual experienced advice might be rare on this particular issue. Personally I kinda doubt it will really be an issue, at least not an immediate one, if anything I'd put my money on a long term odds. I think I might carefully smooth out any bump inside the normal combustion area with a dremel, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it otherwise.

Honestly that looks like minor damage. The only potential problem is some metal being proud of (above) the gasket surface. This can be solved with careful use of a very fine flat file. The bigger issue is "the head is straight with no apparent warpage or cracks". It would be worth your while to get a machine shop to inspect it but if you can't carefully inspect the surface with a long metal straight edge and measure any gaps with feeler gauges. A BMW manual should tell you the limits that can be tolerated for a good seal.

I wouldn't think it'd be an issue AT LEAST for short-term. Long-term yeah, it'll be a weak spot, but it should be fine. I'd also second having the head checked at a reliable MS. Perhaps have them surface it since that's typically pretty cheap, it'll make sure it's flat, smooth out any bump from the hammer-hit, and by surfacing it you'll pull just a tiny amount of metal off to get the ding a little less into the sealing surface for the compression ring on the HG.

Back