• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I run late(1989) wiper linkage on a early(1980) car

Yes.

Arms are actually the same length when in use, but use the hook attachment, instead of the tab that slides in, so they are longer, but the extra length is folded underneath. The blades are longer on 1991-93 cars (17" instead of 16"), but the later blades do work on the earlier cars, even if the older style windshield moulding is present.

Essentially, you're just going from the 1980 setup to the 1981 setup.

-J

Yes.

Arms are actually the same length when in use, but use the hook attachment, instead of the tab that slides in, so they are longer, but the extra length is folded underneath. The blades are longer on 1991-93 cars (17" instead of 16"), but the later blades do work on the earlier cars, even if the older style windshield moulding is present.

-J

The only thing I remember being significantly different is the length of the drive housings. I figured that picture comparing the cowl changes 86 was what OP referred to. And what about the arm attachment?

Yes.

-J

Wait, so can I use 17" blades on my 1987 car? Or will they scrape something?

The only thing I remember being significantly different is the length of the drive housings. I figured that picture comparing the cowl changes 86 was what OP referred to. And what about the arm attachment?

that was kinda my concern, will the drives stick out to far from the cowl making it not function properly or look odd?

Yes.

-J

:uh:

I have to trim 1/2" of the passenger side blade's rubber to run 16's on my 82 or it hits the windshield seal.

:uh:

I have to trim 1/2" of the passenger side blade's rubber to run 16's on my 82 or it hits the windshield seal.

I've never run into that problem. Too long an arm on your car? I'm running the Bosch arms on all three 240's here. All three are set up how the 1985 cars are, with the shorter passenger arm on the driver's side and the longer driver's arm on the passenger side. Blades are the 17" long Bosch Icon blades. Friend of mine in Canada runs 18" blades on his '83. Says they work fine. Two passenger side arms, with the one on the driver's side of the car adjusted upward slightly.

The 17" blades, shown on my 242:

End of blade sits just above the edge of the moulding, but the rubber element only comes within 1/8-1/4" of the moulding. Never touches.

-J

Last edited:
that was kinda my concern, will the drives stick out to far from the cowl making it not function properly or look odd?

I currently have a wiper pivot from an '87 (late cowl) on my 245Ti (early cowl). Fits fine. The cowl difference is down near the hood, where the vent is. The arms mount above that spot.

-J

1992 245:

Looks like there might be a thinner grommet used for the passenger pivot on the newer cars, but, both the blue car and the white car have the same style pivot installed on that side.

-J

My compliments on the roses. :nod:

Thanks, yeah, that plant has been there for a good 15 years or so. Needs to be tamed a bit, since it's fun to try to change out bulbs on the light fixture at that corner of the house.

Didn't realize Washington was one of those fascist States that force the front plate (tag) to be displayed. Nice solution.

Yeah, at least, no tab is required on the front plate, unlike Oregon. Unfortunately, the swedish plate did attract attention from the police, so it has been removed and stored for now. There was a bill proposed in the state house that would've allowed people to run only a rear plate, but it sorta died in committee. That said, in 5 years, the car will be allowed to run a rear plate only, as a collector vehicle, with either a collector plate or a "restored" year-of manufacture plate (meaning decent condition YOM plate). The blue 245 depicted above now wears 1984 plates, but I decided to go ahead and have a pair on it, instead of only on the rear.

-J

Back