• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Today's Progress....

Well, I managed to get some stuff done in between dodging rain storms.

Firstly, I'd got my header back after the machine shop had taken 6mm off the flange to get it flat!
So I put it on the other engine for a dummy setup to attach the turbo and check the flange etc.

It fitted, at least.

20070228headertime20002hw5.jpg

20070228headertime20003ow4.jpg

I kept nipping out of the garage during the dry periods to try and get the block ready for grinding and tapping for the oil drain. This showed up a problem- to gain access to the oil drain I had two choices, either remove the steering column (not a good choice) or unbolt the right hand engine mount and raise the engine with a jack.

Needless to say, I chose the latter.

20070228headertime20007qe5.jpg

Now at this point I must categorically state that it is NOT impossible to port the oil drain hole and tap a 3/4 NPT thread with the engine in the car.
It is, however, ALMOST impossible. :-P

At this point rain stopped play yet again, so it was back to the garage to try and find something to do.
So I decided to make a V Band adapter for my Cossie T3/4 (as it is now).

I cut the flare off my earlier downpipe and with the flange, bolted it tight and square to the turbine housing. I tacked it with weld, took it off and ground it flush. I then rechecked it on the turbine housing.

20070228headertime20008eo1.jpg

Happy with that, I then welded a V Band to some 3" stainless pipe.

20070228headertime20010mz0.jpg

After it had cooled (out in the rain- I'm sooo impatient) I chopped it off at a length determined by whether I'd be able to get the V Band clamp on and off in situ.

I welded the stub onto the original flange et voila, a V Band adapter circa 1990 Ford Motorsport.

20070228headertime20014dl7.jpg

20070228headertime20015ns1.jpg

Final images of today are of the header and turbo in situ and the oil drain fitted.

I also mocked up the downpipe to get an idea of where it needs to go.

20070228headertime20019cc0.jpg

20070228headertime20021iq0.jpg

20070228headertime20023py8.jpg

And I'm knackered, cold and in desperate need of a shower.

Bertie, two things:

1. I don't get the whole "tapping the drain with the engine in the car" thing. You didn't do this did you? What happened to all of the metal bits?

2. Man, I absolutely do not envy you RHD guys trying to find room for all the turbo bits. I feel ashamed that I labor so much to fit things into a LHD car.

Why don't you turn the 945 around and nose it into the garage and pull the door down a foot or so? That way the engine bay should be in the dry.

Bertie, two things:

1. I don't get the whole "tapping the drain with the engine in the car" thing. You didn't do this did you? What happened to all of the metal bits?

2. Man, I absolutely do not envy you RHD guys trying to find room for all the turbo bits. I feel ashamed that I labor so much to fit things into a LHD car.

1. Yes, I did. All the metal bits (dust, really) were washed into the sump with liberal amounts of carb cleaner. They'll be removed with an oil change. Any dust missed will be collected by the oil filter. I must point out though, that whilst I would do this on an engine I was keeping, I'll be suprised if this engine does 5000 miles before it's removed to make way for the 16v turbo ( the engine on the stand in mid rebuild).

2. Tell me about it. Getting the 3" downpipe in is not easy with a standard 90+. Getting it to fit with a header and not melt plug leads or boil clutch fluid is going to take a lot of doing.

Why don't you turn the 945 around and nose it into the garage and pull the door down a foot or so? That way the engine bay should be in the dry.

Too late for that! The workbench runs the full length of the garage so I can only get two feet of car in, maximum.

Actually I didnt weld the water pump (wanted to find something that would allow the replacement of the pump later on without going to a lot of trouble), so what I did was get another hose from the parts store, cut part of it off, got a big 90' plumbing bend, and clamped that to the pump, and the hose to that. couldn't tell you what the hose was for, the nice people at the store wouldn't cross ref it for me (i walked down the aisle, and found one to my liking).

lookin good bud :)

There's an invisible King Heeb post here somewhere, probably asking me what the hell I'm doing p*ssing about with an SSAC header!

It shows on the index but isn't here when I look at the thread.

Kenny! Where are you? :-P

Does anyone have back to back dyno pulls with and without an SSAC header? I'm kinda curious! 6mm?! I can see why it's referred to as SS Autocrap now!

Coming along nicely :-D

cheers

James

Does anyone have back to back dyno pulls with and without an SSAC header? I'm kinda curious! 6mm?! I can see why it's referred to as SS Autocrap now!

Coming along nicely :-D

cheers

James

Bear in mind that the stock header with the upsidedown flange hasn't been rewelded without bolting the flange to anything solid. :roll:

so are you just seeing if the manifold is going to take the abuse? just a temp thing to get the turbo where you want it for the 16v? (cause I can't imagine the ssac header lasting for a long time). It flows fairly well, shame its such a piece.

Bear in mind that the stock header with the upsidedown flange hasn't been rewelded without bolting the flange to anything solid. :roll:
A few too many double negatives there for this time of night chap :rofl: Are you saying it was this bent out of the box, or that it was a result of compromised rewelding? I certainly wouldn't be dissin' y0 mad tyte welding skillz (to use a Dokeh-ism), as I can imagine it's a tart of a job - thin-wall stainless to the world's thickest flange!

cheers

James

A few too many double negatives there for this time of night chap :rofl: Are you saying it was this bent out of the box, or that it was a result of compromised rewelding? I certainly wouldn't be dissin' y0 mad tyte welding skillz (to use a Dokeh-ism), as I can imagine it's a tart of a job - thin-wall stainless to the world's thickest flange!

cheers

James

I didn't weld it- I got it from Dave who, I believe, had it rewelded. Whoever did the welding obviously didn't bolt it to anything solid to do the job because you just wouldn't get warpage like that if you did.

Griz's header, on the other hand, is bent out of the box- but not enough that the gaskets wouldn't take up the slack, probably.

so are you just seeing if the manifold is going to take the abuse? just a temp thing to get the turbo where you want it for the 16v? (cause I can't imagine the ssac header lasting for a long time). It flows fairly well, shame its such a piece.

I'm just playing really, Kenny.

I've got this header so I thought I'd use it and see how long it lasts. Plus a lot of the stuff I'm doing now should be good for the 16v too.

It will also give everyone access do a documented account on SSAC headers and how they perform rather than just "it's crap"- and yes, I know yours fell apart! ;-)

Oh, and I'm a big fan of subtle cars and underbonnet bling- hence why James called me a pimp earlier! :-P

Back