• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driving 240 with Limited Mobility

dmarti02

There's a good chance I'm the first to ask this on the forum! So, for the next few month's I will be dealing with a broken ankle. As it's Spring time and I'm obsessed with cars, this poses a problem! I have had six volvos and always loved them, although never technically owned the 240.

Currently, I have a Range Rover and with the crutches getting in and out is pretty annoying. Since I refuse to let go of driving or my OCD tendancies with cars, I'm looking for a solution. Basically, I was going to buy a van, but after realizing I don't want one, I thought what would be a good car to get in and out of with a limited amount of center console clutter and a low sill.

Just trying to make my recovery a little more interesting! Thanks in advance for any insight.

I drove my standard, manual choke/manual steering 242 for my entire 6-month recovery when I had all the tendons on the back of my right hand re-attached. I was in a splint from the elbow to the wrist with a sling for the first 2 months or so. I would stick my right elbow in the wheel and reached across to shift with my left. The hardest part was twiddling the choke to keep it running when it was cold. Sometimes on a 1-2 shift it will cough and sputter and you need to goose the choke for a second to get it to smarten up.....
For the record I did ask the doctor if I could drive still. He said no problem. He probably assumed i had one of them new fangled auto shifting automobiles.

Where there is a will, some hard headed sumbatch is gonna find a way.

Find one to go sit in. The front door is small, and if you aren't slender or nimble, you'll likely find it a little difficult to get in and out of. These cars were essentially designed in the 60s, and not a whole lot about them changed as far as steering wheel location, seat height and location, etc... You'll likely rub your thigh on the bottom of the steering wheel getting in or out, and will probably hit your head a couple times on the upper door frame if you're taller than 6'0". You'll also probably rub your left foot (if driving a LHD car) on the lower door card/map pocket getting out.
Once you get used to it, it's a comfy vintage-feeling ride, but having mobility requirements plus getting used to a 240 could result in frustration for a couple weeks depending on your size. I'm only 5'8" but when I'm loaded up with my full-lug vibram soled boots, side arm, jacket, etc, it can be a clunky entrance/exit.

The 850s are much more accommodating for ease of entrance/exit. The front doors are much bigger when you look at them.
I had a 940 for a while, I'd say it's easier than the 240 but not as easy as the 850.
140 and 1800es are terrible for entry and exit because of the steering wheel the size of saturn.

Am I right that it is the right ankle and you will be left foot gas pedal? If so, the tranny tunnel is for sure in the way. Not really any way to straddle it while driving. A mini van like an old caravan/voyager has a flat floor, allowing the right foot to live in front of the center console.

All great input. I'm 5'11', 160lbs so size is OK, but good points on the small doors at the front. I guess a 2dr would do the trick, but much harder to find. I'd probably find one and get that sorted around the time I'd be recovered!!

No, he needs a 2Dr 122, but with an Automatic tranny. Big doors, funky '50s styling, and almost no transmission tunnel. :-)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...856085394.html

00J0J_5pLc75NzC1G_1200x900.jpg

Maybe a Mazda RX8 will do the trick? , you know , with those suicide rear doors.
17-2011-Mazda-RX-8-Pictures-courtesy-of-Phil-Murilee-Martin-Greden-550x412.jpg

Or a BMW i3 also suicide rear doors.
Or a classic Lincoln Continental towncar

Back