• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1983 242 Turbo Flatnose "theory"

There's SFA difference between a US-spec "flatnose" and the proper '81-'82 "Euro" ones, it's just a few panels at the front which're easily replaced when building a car. Seriously, Group A cars were apparently nabbed off the production line and completely rebuilt with all the seam-welding & strengthening & fancy doodads attached; it's kinda irrelevant which cars may or may not have been in front of & behind a Group A shell on the production line.

I have read from somewhere (some volvo historic book) that only a little over 5000 factory turbo 200-series cars were ever built, and that should include all the 242, 244 and 245 turbo cars. Europe never got the 242 turbo officially.

So therefore 5000 homologiation cars sounds a bit off.

I for the life of me can't find the info on production numbers anywhere now, so i can't say for sure it is so.

So does anyone here know for sure how many factory 200-series turbo cars were made?

It is very hard to find exact production figures for the turbo models.
However, according to:
http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html, total production of 240 series from 1981 - 1985 was 341,938 (check my math). I find it very hard to believe that just 1.46% of all the 240s made for those 5 model years were turbos. I suspect the actual number is closer to 5% or 10% (17,097 and 34,194, respectively). Although the 240Turbo *was* a premium model when it was for sale, it sold very well when the advertising blitz and media campaign touted its performance.

JD

77240dl said:
well want one that all i know, maybe when im in germany, i'll look for one

U mean u want to buy a group A race 240 turbo?

I think we have been wrong in assuming all group A racers are flathoods.

How do you explain this picture when you scroll down to the bottom of this page:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/in004021/Pages/1983/1983 Cars.html
I think it looks even better.

I really want to see more pictures of this car in a bigger size.

I think the story went like this. 5000 240 turbos must be made to homologate for group A in maybe 1981.5. And then they changed the race car a bit in '83 with intercooler and some other things, so they need to produce 500 flathoods with intercooler standard as a EVO model just like BMW M3 Sport EVO, or Benz 190E EVO. The total amount of 240 turbo must be more than 5500.

I think it would be correct and nice to call the flathood as 240 turbo EVOlution from now on. I hope intercooled 4 door can be called 240 turbo EVOlution 4 door because i have one of those. And intercooler 245 can be called 240 turbo EVOlution estate.

Now our cars start sounding much cooler in a sudden, and most importantly the intercooled 240 owners can become proud and distance themselves from the regular 240 turbo's that are actually not that rare as 77240dl said. The only thing left to do is buy some evolution badges.

Last edited:
I think what i will say has allready been covered above but here's my take on what happened.

The 5000 cars is just the number of cars that had to be built in order for the base car to compete.

There were dubious doubts that 5000 Jag XJS were ever built in a year, but easily the american market would have sold 5000 240 Turbo's be it in 242 or 244 body shell.

Regarding the 500 figure.

I quote this source.

After production of the 500 cars and subsquent homologation (with close inspection of 23 cars), the other 477 cars were robbed of their competition equipment and sold as standard 240 turbo roadcars. Not illegal by any means, but it left a bad taste in the mouth of their competitors. The FISA reacted in July, after trying to buy an Evolution car in a few European countries (which failed): Volvo had to release the names of the 500 owners of the evolution cars. Volvo didn't react, so the "evolution" homologation would end on September 1, 1985. Later (after the factory holiday!) Volvo could manage to reveal a few evolution cars in Sweden, so the ban was lifted.

So I belive Volvo released what was known as 500 Flathood cars as a marketing exercise and to cover there tracks. Perhaps these included the 477 that were robbed of there parts.

Where the 23 that were inspected are i believe they went back to europe and were some of the cars that volvo released to FISA.

I find it very doubtfull that Volvo would have released 500 EVO cars for sale in american that were tied into a European Touring Car Championship.

Is there any sales literature from the time that shows Volvo's efforts in this championship??
Was Volvo's advertising of the time comparing them to other cars showing how fast they were??

The Championships were later dominated by the Sierra Cosworth, as Ford did make the RS500 Evo Model with Large Turbo, 8 Injectors (4unplugged), the rear wing. They knew it was a good marketing ploy and had no trouble selling these specials over the Regular cosworth. As Ford enthusiast deemed that a limted run would be more valuable in later years.

In europe apparantley we didnt have 240 turbo's, if we had then volvo could have probably sold these 500 to us and we would have bought them, But back then Volvo's marketing policy was about safe durable Luxury cars. And the reason people bought them was of this, not for there sporty nature.

I don't think in all my time have i seen and Advertising info here that said, buy volvo winners of the ETCC. Please prove me wrong.

It was only with the release of the 850 cars did volvo see advertising linked to racing as a major marketing ploy and it certainly helped with the sales of the car.

Anyway thats all i have to offer on the subject. Unless someone can get a time machine and go back to when those 23 cars were inspected and then track there movements, it will allways be open to dispute.

CHESH740R said:
Is there any sales literature from the time that shows Volvo's efforts in this championship??

I have a copy of the Volvo owner's magazine, 'Via Volvo', that contains an article on the 1985 ETC victory. However, I don't know of any sales literature or advertisements that touted the win.

CHESH740R said:

I have a copy of the Volvo owner's magazine, 'Via Volvo', that contains an article on the 1985 ETC victory. However, I don't know of any sales literature or advertisements that touted the win.

CHESH740R said:
In europe apparantley we didnt have 240 turbo's...

Do you mean, that in europe during the years 1981-1985 Europe never got a single Volvo 200-series turbo car officially through any Volvo dealer?

If that is what you mean, then, um, you're very wrong.

i think he means UK. when i've been seaching the europe car sites for 240 turbo's i've only ever seen 244 and 245's for sale.

Edit, they've also bean stupidly expensive. ex there's a
1985 245 turbo in holland for a mear 6500euro's, a 1984 244turbo for 7500euro and a 1983 244 turbo for 8000euro those are autotrader holland. crazy when a 2000 euro's here buys you a nice 1993 240 torslander

but then thats pretty pricey for here as you can get aT5 with reasonable miles for that money. and early 850 GLT 20V will run you around 1000euro

Last edited:
You guys know you can e-mail Volvo and get production numbers within a week or two?

Clearly, you'd have to believe what they tell you... But may contribute to the discussion.

They will also specify how many have come to the US market.

turbos

It's not that Volvo didn't sell 240 turbos in Europe. They didn't sell any RHD 240 turbos. So the UK and OZ didn't get any.

I think at first they did plan on selling them but changed their mind. One of my Volvo books has a picture of a black turbo wagon in front of Harrods but you can't tell in the pic if it's left or RHD.

Wow, a 242ti EVO now your talking some smack about your car.

ravennexus said:
i think he means UK. when i've been seaching the europe car sites for 240 turbo's i've only ever seen 244 and 245's for sale.

Edit, they've also bean stupidly expensive. ex there's a
1985 245 turbo in holland for a mear 6500euro's, a 1984 244turbo for 7500euro and a 1983 244 turbo for 8000euro those are autotrader holland. crazy when a 2000 euro's here buys you a nice 1993 240 torslander

but then thats pretty pricey for here as you can get aT5 with reasonable miles for that money. and early 850 GLT 20V will run you around 1000euro

240 turbo's are indeed very expensive over here (holland, belgium, etc). I bought my 244 Turbo about 3years ago for 600euros (6 months of searching) but with a lot of work. So I was sure I had one for restoring in the future, cause they are getting pretty rare over here. Finding a
242 turbo, forget it, you will never find it over here (2 are imported). All 242's T builded in belgium were shipped to the US.

That's another good point that I had forgotten, many countries did not get 242 Turbos at all.

No Left-hand Traffic country got a 240 Turbo at all.
France and Belgium did not get 242 Turbos, but did get 244's from 81-85, and I think they got 245 Turbos too later on.
Italy did not get 242 Turbos, and I don't recall seeing any 240 turbo.
Did Canada get them in 81-82? Did they even get them later? I see an awful lot of GLT's at VCBC meets.

Maybe it makes sense that the 500 came here, since they didn't have many options.

I suspect that most countries that got B23E cars didn't get B21FT cars; they had much the same power, and (possibly due to lag in old turbo designs) they seem to have much the same 0-100km/h and 400m standing-start times (esp c/f the non-intercooled cars). Considering that a B23E was probably cheaper to make, more reliable due to less complexity (and none of this newfangled turbo technology), and also more fuel efficient, it would make sense if they considered the B21FT option to be more trouble than it was worth in those markets.
Once the intercooler came along there were only about 18 months' worth of sales before they stopped making the cars, so by then they probably just didn't want to spend the money getting the B21FT over whatever legal hurdles were required in those countries for just over a year's worth of sales.

neptune said:
That's another good point that I had forgotten, many countries did not get 242 Turbos at all.

Actually, i've never seen an original 242 Turbo anywhere, but in pictures from the 'States. A lot of regular 242 cars have naturally been converted to turbo, but by looking at the VIN the only one's have been in the states.

Not even in Sweden did they get 242 Turbos.

Wagner said:
Actually, i've never seen an original 242 Turbo anywhere, but in pictures from the 'States. A lot of regular 242 cars have naturally been converted to turbo, but by looking at the VIN the only one's have been in the states.

Not even in Sweden did they get 242 Turbos.

That's probably why the flathood which is a 2 door was only old in America.

Back