• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hotwire 740

Waldo

Ive lost my keys to 3, yes 3 of my 4 740s. for the one im trying to get on the road, Ive ordered a new key from the dealer without success as a new key wont work on worn ignition tumblers, haha. i did however file it down enough to appear worn and i am now able to lock the doors, but not turn the ignition. I am considering just putting in a start button since i can lock the doors.
Also, I have the parts car that i want to start so i can warm it up before i drain the oil.

So, i am wondering if anyone knows which wires i need to be concerned with to jump start my parts car and to setup a start button in the second one.
thanks

If the dealer made you a new key and it wouldn't even unlock the car, I'd ask them to grind another. The tumblers last forever- my family has had 740's as far back as 1985, and the keys worked fine.

Ive lost my keys to 3, yes 3 of my 4 740s. for the one im trying to get on the road, Ive ordered a new key from the dealer without success as a new key wont work on worn ignition tumblers, haha. i did however file it down enough to appear worn and i am now able to lock the doors, but not turn the ignition. I am considering just putting in a start button since i can lock the doors.
Also, I have the parts car that i want to start so i can warm it up before i drain the oil.

So, i am wondering if anyone knows which wires i need to be concerned with to jump start my parts car and to setup a start button in the second one.
thanks

the dealer even warned me that it might not work cause the tumblers wear with the key over 15-20 years. The key resembles the same one i had before.

Actually, you can just take out the ignition switch and use a screwdriver to turn it. 2 flathead screws in a bit of a nasty place so you dont have to mess with the wiring. And even better, if you have a spare one, you can just pull off the connector from the ignition switch, and attach it to the spare one and use a screwdriver to start it up. But as mentioned, you wont get the steering lock off...

+ drill to lock cylinder.

+1

---

Get a strong bit or a couple of the same one :rofl:

Last time nearly tore up my electric drill.

Edit: Also keep a small container of water nearby to put the carpet out with if your drill has any kind of power ;-)

Hotwire my 240? I'm on a business trip and lost my key ...

I live in Roanoke VA. I drove to Norfolk VA for work and while here I have lost my key. I've exhaustively looked everywhere, it is gone, and I would like to be able to drive home.

Is it possible to both get it started (hotwire) it AND unlock the steering wheel?

I live in Roanoke VA. I drove to Norfolk VA for work and while here I have lost my key. I've exhaustively looked everywhere, it is gone, and I would like to be able to drive home.

Is it possible to both get it started (hotwire) it AND unlock the steering wheel?

No experience here, but I've heard it said many times, the dealer isn't the only outfit to make a key from the VIN. Try calling a locksmith. Sounds like it could be a legitimate business expense for legitimate business travel.

Lock-out guy should be able to help.I think they can take a wax impression of the tumblers and cut a key from that.

Back