• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

320bhp N/A 5 cylinder engine

Enem makes a few different grinds for 5 cylinders. So does K?hler Racing.

You make it seem like your major focus was 300hp naturally aspirated. It that's the case then maybe u should go with the honda k series... just my opinion anyway. IF you're prejudice against honda, you can make that power with a Ford Duratec.

Well, ****. Why not just use a Chevy smallblock? Hell, go for a big block! Get a 454. They had 360hp from the factory!

That said...so long as you can find a decent set of cams for the whiteblock, 300 n/a should be a relative cakewalk. The engine has enough going for it in terms of displacement and valves. It certainly won't be cheap - I'd HATE to see the price tag of custom cams and full headwork with O/S valves - but it would be easily possible if you had the money to invest in it.

...does anyone even make off the shelf "sport" cams for the whiteblocks? I've never even bothered looking.

That seems to be the main problem when trying to go N/A on these, despite their obvious potential in other areas.

Maybe the use of the 5-cylinder in the Focus will in time improve the situation a little as far as more availability of larger production run special parts, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

.... and it won't help the 6-cylinder situation much either.

It is a shame there aren't more performance parts around to build the N/A 5 (or the 6) less expensively, but there just can't be much demand for these sort of parts for use either in or out of a Volvo.
There is also now a large choice of other alternative and suitable modern engines which are better catered for in the performance aftermarket, and it is even just so much cheaper and easier to cobble together a medium boost turbo 5 installation to give the same sort of results.

You should be applauded for daring to go down a different path from the 'easy route' that most take though, and running something different or unusual is at least half the fun in my book... if it doesn't break the bank!

I assume this is the N/RN series engines. Have you considered the RNC as used in the S40/C70/C30/Focus? This is a more compact engine (Revised N-series Compact). The Volvo folks said the "potential power output" for this engine would exceed the RN series. The smaller size would help packaging and installation.

David

Cat Cams in Belgium make billet cams for the Volvo 5cyl and supply anyone, prices are about ?550 the pair

Cat Cams in Belgium make billet cams for the Volvo 5cyl and supply anyone, prices are about ?550 the pair

Current exchange rate incl. VAT and no dealer discounts I think the cams and properly matched valvetrain will bring it to double that price minimum.

Just been reading this thread and started wondering if the AustenW was someone I knew. When I saw the plenum on his old turbo Ford I knew it was. Hiya Austen, you love weird and wonderful projects as much as I do :) Happy New Year. You asked how the 4A-GE was getting on, I took this photo today for you ;) Austen made me the plenum on my 4AGE Formula Atlantic turbo engine, and a lovely job he did, too.

DSC08743.JPG
Getting there!

After over a year of waiting I finally got my head and cams back from QEP / Cat Cams

Just need to get some pistons made and I can start bolting the engine together.

Need to redress the inlet valve seat area and skim the head also

10052010133.jpg

10052010136.jpg

10052010135.jpg

10052010134.jpg

10052010137.jpg

10052010142.jpg

Back