• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

5.0 swap - issue with power steering

BigIrish

I've just compeleted a 5.0 & T-5 swap on an 89 240. I installed a reman ZF rack before I put the engine in and have it hooked to the Ford PS pump.

It is "working" however the sensation is very strange. When I turn the wheel just off center, there is an odd resistance and then I feel the power steering kick in and it feels more normal for the rest of the way, but still not right. It's like the power boost is 1/2 second behind my steering input and it's especially bad just off center.

Any ideas on what this could be? Air in the system?

I rotated the wheel lock-to-lock several times with engine running, which I thought should bleed out any air.

Thanks!

did you jack up the car when trying to bleed the system? that always helps me. i go back and forth atleast a dozen times.

did i sell you a junk PS line? :-P

not that knowledgeable about PS systems but maybe the FORD pump output does not match the OEM volvo pump?

Is there a bleeder valve on these racks I need to crack open? I didn't see one, but I don't know what to look for.

I only went back and forth a few times with the wheels off the ground. I wasn't seeing any more air in the pump reservoir.

Supposedly this swap has been done many times, so I 'assume' the ford pump is adequate (?)

hmm.. sorry cant help you.. are you sure the ford pump was in good shape prior to installing?

Is there a bleeder valve on these racks I need to crack open? I didn't see one, but I don't know what to look for.

I only went back and forth a few times with the wheels off the ground. I wasn't seeing any more air in the pump reservoir.

Supposedly this swap has been done many times, so I 'assume' the ford pump is adequate (?)

Dealing with a similar issue, Mine I am sure is air needing to burp out. I did the run and turn on jack stands then later a number of tight turns on my road, still has an odd vibration when turning after my new P/S pump. Going back on jack stands and running through the cycle again. I am using an Explorer pump, which worked fine before just noisy.
Test Point had a issue with his rack giving inconsistent response side to side.

Alignment is probably part of the issue, but I did manage to get it working much better last night. Flushed the system and turned lock-to-lock about 40 times and it's good now.

Still slight resistance off center but that is likely alingment. I just did a shade-tree alignment with toe plates for now.

Back