• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Samsteffansson Header

MGBRaceman

Good afternoon team,

I purchased a SAM 4-2-1 header for my 1987 245 B230F AW-71 back in 2005 and it's still working great. I am, however, getting ready to adapt a classicswede 2.5" exhaust and convert from pipe clamps to flanges. SAM doesn't appear to have that header listed on their site any longer so my question is this. (So I can get the right material O2 bung, flange, and welding rods)

I think this header was Stainless Steel, but I'm not 100% certain (It's been a long time) and I also need to know what type of stainless (e.g. t304).

Does anyone on the forum know exactly what material was used in the construction of this header? Thanks in advance.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

Last edited:
Is the header magnetic? Has it rusted? Note: not all SS is non-magnetic and some will actually rust, a picture of the header on the car might be useful here.
Going with SS o2 bung and flanges will be a bit more $$, but probably worth it. I picked up a nice investment cast o2 bung on amazon that has a flange on it.
309L welding rod is what you'll want to use if it's mild to SS, 308L if it's all 304.

Just get a 316 filler if it is stainless, then you are sure that it is same grade or higher. exact materials are not very important.

That's not how material grades work, or how filler material grades work.

I'm with John on this.

That's not how material grades work, or how filler material grades work.

I'm with John on this.

Dont know, im not a welder or anything, just saying what i was taught at school. But that is wrong then i see.

If it is not stainless, it can still be welded with stainless filler with no problems.

Dont know, im not a welder or anything, just saying what i was taught at school. But that is wrong then i see.

If it is not stainless, it can still be welded with stainless filler with no problems.

There are multiple grades of stainless rod. Some can be used for welding mild steel, others will crack very easily. Same when welding stainless. There are meant different grades of base material, and you have to use the proper filler material. It's best to do some research before selecting a filler.

Team,

Alright here is the final answer for anyone else who is working with one of these headers in the future:

Carbon Steel with .4% Carbon, .2% Silicon and .7% Manganese

Thank you all for your assistance as always.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

Back