• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Car turns over, then stops suddenly

scubthebub

I Roll Freak
I've got a 92 944 with about 108k miles

I replaced the headgasket and havn't been able to start it since. I've just recently replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil wire, and coil. I got some starter fluid to see if that would kind of jump start it, but it didn't help.

When i turn the key it will start to turn over, then seem to hit a wall and obruptly stop turning over (dash lights go out and the gauges all die) and then starts turning over again. Sometimes when after trying to start it the oil light will come on, even it's full of fresh oil. I'd really like to get the car out of my driveway.

Any ideas what it could be, or what to check next?

having this same problem with my car. my problem seems to be battery being out and on concrete for a while drained it. got it on a jump box giving it more power though.

Lord_Athlon said:
It could be the starter solenoid, it could be cam timing or ignition timing lighting the mixture on the compression stroke

The timing belt is correct because the timing marks lined up on all 3 wheels, how would i check the other items.

aleekat said:
I agree. Have you tried to jump start it?

yea i've got one of those battery tenders/jump start things. Although i don't know if i tust it, i'll try a new battery. Free 2 year replacement :)

Try a new battery or check the bettery terminals to make sure they're tight...I know I had a loose terminal before had the same problems you're describing. Sounds like you're not getting enough amps.

Fiend said:
my problem seems to be battery being out and on concrete for a while drained it.

You my friend, are WRONG! Don't blame the concrete.

Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

curtis

undrtw said:
You my friend, are WRONG! Don't blame the concrete.

Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

curtis

Are you sure the warning about concrete doesnt have more to do with temperature? Concrete is generally cooler temps then putting it on dirt, gravel, cardboard, wood, etc. Cold is a problem for batteries. They drain faster, and if they are not charged, and sit in teh cold the plates will warp and cause shorts, and thus a dead battery.

I tried to start a car with the crank 180 degrees out (8v safe engine), it had enough fuel in the combustion chamber to kick over a few turns and kicked huge backfiring bangs of smoke out of the throttle body!! LOL just about poo'd myself, but no harm done to it!

Back