home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #51
mtd240
Bored Member

I don't know how cold last winter was specifically, but I drove it almost everyday. Definitely got below freezing.
mtd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
mtd240
Bored Member

Drove it 15 miles highway/city mix today in 3 deg (F) weather. Still shifted nice and smooth, even before warming up. I'm at ~40k miles on the fluid now.

I'm sure there are others who are in colder weather currently - anyone have experience with the "new" OEM fluid in super cold weather?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #53
Volvoist
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd240 View Post
Drove it 15 miles highway/city mix today in 3 deg (F) weather. Still shifted nice and smooth, even before warming up. I'm at ~40k miles on the fluid now.

I'm sure there are others who are in colder weather currently - anyone have experience with the "new" OEM fluid in super cold weather?
Excellent! I am going to change mine this spring when I replace my clutch. It's parked in the garage for the winter, so it won't be driven much.

Newark/Bear, Delaware

Vintage, classic, and unusual vehicle sales. Specializing in ALL Volvo RWD models

www.swedishbrickyard.com

Email: mike@swedishbrickyard.com

Feedback here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=228756
Volvoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #54
boxerfan
Board Member

Default I know this thread is getting old, but....

This thread was exactly what I was looking for! I've got my parts all clean and ready to bolt on...switching the 245 from an AW70 to an M47. The AW70 is sweet, but it has an annoying front seal leak and I'm not a fan of autos.
I think I read all the posts, so if I missed something I apologize.
Volvo calls for part#1161645, from this thread...I typed that in and googled it and found Fuchs Sintofluid 75w90. I see Fuchs tankers running around here...I notice it because of the name...uh, yeah, how do you pronounce that one? LOL!
I can't find a local supplier but did find it for $14.50/qt...or was that litre. I ordered it, we'll see.
By the way it did have red/auto trans fluid in it...and no I've never gotten to drive this transmission, got it from a small yard up near Gettysburg, totaled 244, still had all papers in car, found a name, called owner. He was heart broken over his car, but assured me it shifted and drove like a dream, he bought it new and was it's sole driver for 125,000 miles...125,000 on an 88, rings weren't seated!!! I got LOTS of good pieces! So technically it still lives!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #55
mtd240
Bored Member

Was on All-Data, and found the part number for Volvo's synthetic manual transmission fluid - 1161745. Here it is on FCP. Going to try this whenever I need to drain the fluid again.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #56
Volvoist
Board Member

Quote:
Was on All-Data, and found the part number for Volvo's synthetic manual transmission fluid - 1161745. Here it is on FCP. Going to try this whenever I need to drain the fluid again.
Does the "745" fluid now superceed the "645" fluid? I though the "745" was for AWD's?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #57
mtd240
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoist View Post
Does the "745" fluid now superceed the "645" fluid? I though the "745" was for AWD's?
It doesn't superceed it. But the 645 is non-synthetic, and the 745 is synthetic. If it is a 75w-80, for manual transmissions, it should be good for the M47. Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #58
Volvoist
Board Member

Just an update to this thread: I have been doing some research and found that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w80 is the same oil as the Volvo fluid. I can get this from my supplier, and plan to order a few liters to try out.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #59
mtd240
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoist View Post
Just an update to this thread: I have been doing some research and found that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w80 is the same oil as the Volvo fluid. I can get this from my supplier, and plan to order a few liters to try out.
So you are thinking that is what Volvo used as the factory fill, "lifetime" synthetic stuff? Not the replacement non-synthetic manual trans fluid they sell now?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #60
Volvoist
Board Member

Quote:
So you are thinking that is what Volvo used as the factory fill, "lifetime" synthetic stuff? Not the replacement non-synthetic manual trans fluid they sell now?
Not sure. I kind of doubt it though. Whatever they used back when these were new is probably no longer available anyhow. That said, I think that this stuff is a fine choice. Though I have never had any issues with Type F or Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron (NLA, now some universal type ATF which I will not use...) I want to try out new options. My 265 diesel project seems to have the wrong fluid. It is stiff to shift and overdrive is very delayed engaging and disengaging cold. I suspect someone put regular gear oil in it when the did the clutch (rolls eyes). The guy that had it, and ruined the engine, did a lot of foolish things and rubbish repairs.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #61
VB242
Grr baby, grr

Pennzoil Synchromesh if your synchros aren't working right otherwise any type-F ATF, not the same as Dexron or one the universal ATF's.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #62
Volvoist
Board Member

Dexron works fine in the M46/M47. How do I know? I have used it for well over 15 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, both in my own vehicles and customers vehicles. Type F is the recommended fluid by Volvo. The issue here now (see earlier posts) is that it appears that Volvo is now recommending the 1161645 fluid (see the back of the bottle). I know that Type F and Dexron work fine in these trannys, but it sounds like the Volvo fluid may work a bit better. Seems in line with Redline MTL (specs).
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #63
apollo's 940
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvpete View Post
Got about 20k on the Volvo fluid now, shifts smooth and no grinding of synchro's which happened with the MTL after 50k. There's 360k on the M47 now, still doing fine. I took it across the USA for a 5500 mile romp, ran flawlessly.

I drive it up to the top of Sandia Crest 2-3 times a week, and that's taking hairpin corners near redline in 2nd-3rd, at an elevation gain of 6000 ft over 13 mile course on the Crest Highway up then down after a good 10 mile hike. I keep thinking it'll take a dump on one of these romps and kill the M47 but it still lives no matter how hard I drive it.

I will have to say that the Volvo fluid sells today as discussed here in the thread is not the same as what Volvo puts in these lifetime fill of fluid M47's when it left the factory. The factory fluid is absolutely clear, not red, not amber, not brown or anything but crystral clear and odorless. When I recieved the Volvo fluid this past spring, it came from the bottle as a brownish fluid with a disticnt smell of Hypoid gear oil. Although it says it is synthetyic, it smells like hypoid fluid, and suspect that it may not be anything different than the Valvoline Hypoid Durablend gear oil.
hi --- first timer on m47 fluid change.

1. how many liters does my m47 take?

2. do i need to replace the seal copper rings for both plugs? are there even any there?

3. up to where is full? until it starts dripping from the upper plug --- means its full?

thanks in advance.

andrew
apollo's 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #64
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

Right from the Green Book: M46 early, through 1990, 2.4 qts
M46 late, 1991 on 2.7 qts
M47 type I 1.4 qts
M47 type II 1.7 qts
Also from the Green Book: On complaints about gearbox noise, Volvo Thermo oil PN 1 161 243-9 (see previous posts)

This has been a fascinating thread to read, regardless of old. I have used Syncromax in many 46 and 47 transmissions for years, but have recently reverted to good quality type F in both, just plain, non-synthetic ATF. I swear the 250k+ mile M-46 in my wagon shifts better with that than it did with the Syncromax. I run minimum 2 qts in all M47s.
DavidSamuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #65
mtd240
Bored Member

I'm approaching 50,000 miles on the fluid (2,000 to go). I'll be drain/refilling when I get there, and will update on how the old stuff looks. Still shifts really nice - it was below 20F yesterday and today, too.

The Volvo fluid (1161645) also jumped up in price since I last bought it in 2012 - it's $16.69 at Tasca. I guess a ~30% price increase over 3 years isn't terrifying. Maybe.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #66
snippits75
Board Member

Got my Starla exhaust kit installed, and passed inspection earlier this week, so I am in the mood to get my 1990 Volvo 240 DL wagon with the M47(2) in good shape.

After reading through this whole thread, I think I will change the trans fluid. Probably going to order some of the Volvo gear oil, but I might just go with the type F fluid because that's what the book calls for, and I can get it a lot cheaper. Pennzoil and Valvoline both have Synchromesh that I can pick up locally for about $8 a quart. The Valvoline part number is 811095, and my local NAPA has it in stock. It's $1 a quart cheaper than the Pennzoil.

Read that the drain plug and fill plug are easiy to mess up. Any tips or suggestions getting the plugs out without messing them up? I already know to take the fill plug out first.
snippits75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #67
Volvoist
Board Member

Long needed update: I have been buying and using Fuchs Sintofluid which is labeled 75w-80, more like a 10w30 I am guessing, GL-4 oil. I just changed a 1993 244 that we got for resale, though I am keeping it for now, yesterday using this oil, and it was a noticeable improvement. This oil is a DIRECT interchange part for Volvo 1161645, and I am guessing it is the very same fluid too. I get the oil direct from one of our wholesale parts suppliers. Running the full 2L in an M47. I did use Redline MTL in my 242's M46 when I did the clutch a few months back. Works great. I only used that fluid because I had some on the shelf that I wanted to use up.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #68
dl242gt
Can play the blues

That seems like great oil to try. Thanks for the update.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #69
ICantDrift
Board Member

I've used Penzoil Synchromesh (yellow bottle) in my M47 with decent success. It took a day of ≈4 hours driving to a drift event, ≈6 hours of abuse on the track, and then ≈4 hours driving home and never had any issues shifting at all
Old 01-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #70
Volvoist
Board Member

Cold weather update on the Fuchs vs. MTL vs. ATF- I like the Fuchs better. The '93's M47 shifts easily even cold. The MTL in the M46 has caused a slightly harder shift when cold. Once warmed up, it is fine. May try Fuchs in it this Spring. I have one M47 left which is in our single family owned '87 245 that is still running ATF. I had Mobil 1 Dexron ATF in it before they switched to the universal stuff. I think its has been at least 8 years or so since I last changed it, perhaps more. Has not seen enough mileage to justify changing it, however. Started that in single digit temps and it still shifts easily. I plan to change that to Fuchs when I do the clutch.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #71
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I liked MTL in the M46 better than in my M47 cars. I also experienced the same balky shifting with it when cold and then would be good once warmed up. Thanks for the update and info on a good lubricant.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote