• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Choke cable 544

B16 or B18? '61 is right on the cusp.

If B16, it's not replaceable.

1001040203s.jpg

B18 cables are one long center cable with a loop in the middle.

1001040205s.jpg

If it's like the others I've messed with, the metal rod that the knob is attached to is drilled in the center to accept the inner cable part way. There are 2 holes drilled through the side of the rod and the cable is flattened at those points. I've tried to remove the cable by drilling out the flattened areas, but they were very difficult to drill and I bent the rod by pushing on the drill too hard. Even after removing the old cable, attempting to flatten the new one proved to be near impossible. I heated the wire red hot, used a pin punch on both sides of the cable (one in a vice) and still couldn't flatten the wire enough. I don't know what that cable is made out of, but it's tough stuff.

If it's like the others I've messed with, the metal rod that the knob is attached to is drilled in the center to accept the inner cable part way. There are 2 holes drilled through the side of the rod and the cable is flattened at those points. I've tried to remove the cable by drilling out the flattened areas, but they were very difficult to drill and I bent the rod by pushing on the drill too hard. Even after removing the old cable, attempting to flatten the new one proved to be near impossible. I heated the wire red hot, used a pin punch on both sides of the cable (one in a vice) and still couldn't flatten the wire enough. I don't know what that cable is made out of, but it's tough stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

You may need to consider using an generic choke cable assembly.

In the past after failing in the aforementioned repair attempts to replace the inner cable, we have replaced the stock choke cable with universal choke cable. Unfortunately the "T" shaped knob is completely different from the original and the handle has to turned to hold the choke cable in place when it is pulled.

Eric ,that's what we did. The car is back at the owners for the removal of the interior. He had Dustless Blasting strip the fire wall and with a very intense tapeing of all holes the inside is a mess.

Back