• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v Valve Cover Gaskets, Leaky leaky

culberro

Ronald Culberbone III (Robert)
I?ve had a recent string of bad luck with Elwis valve cover gaskets on a b234 engine. The gasket material has been incredibly hard and cracks while going over the cam caps.
The latest was when one section of the gasket cracked and pushed out, causing the valve cover to crack. Usually I would attribute this to over torquing, but it was done with a nut driver... so that?s probably 3-5 ft-lbs.

So what advice, tricks, or brands of gaskets have you all had good luck with on a b234?

The b234f stuff is probably just so old it cracks. It's probably been on the shelf for many years.

My trick is to just buy the valve cover gasket separately. I ended up getting lucky with a fresh one.

Another trick is to flex it by hand before install. I do it on 8v valve cover gaskets too. I work the bends with my fingers so it hopefully doesn't crack on install. Use RTV on the bends too.

Pretty much exactly what ZVolv said. I usually don't get the whole kits, just a few individual gaskets. And the valve cover gasket by itself seems nicer. Also maybe warm it up? Def use sealer in those sharp corners.

I'm hoarding a few Elring kits, but they're old stock so I don't imagine the gaskets are going to be real flexible when I go to use them.

Let us know how those Fel-Pro gaskets work out.

Just circling back on this.
The Fel-pro gaskets were about as bad/dry as everything else, AND they don’t include the center/spark plug gasket on the kit...?

I soaked the gaskets in hot water to soften them, and it worked great!

Back