home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Default Front Sway Bar 960

So I’ve run into a conundrum -

A couple years ago I installed a 25mm front 9/7xx sway bar and the matching rear bar in my wagon. (1992 6cyl 960) The bar seems a bit different that the ones in the pictures in that it sticks out pretty far.

It fits but when you lift the car up, the bar rests on the engine block and oil filter, meaning that to change the oil you have to raise and lower the car several times. My mechanic said it shouldn’t be an issue driving unless I’m getting air going over a bump (I wish I had that much power).

So I know these things are designed for 4cyl cars and IPD will say they aren’t compatible with 960s. I originally had a 19mm bar in there, and I’m thinking of putting a Volvo 23mm bar in so that everything will be in the right place.

Will a 23F/25R set up handle much (if any) different than the 25F/25R iPD bars? Any concerns mixing Volvo and iPD?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

I've had good luck with a 25mm IPD front and factory wagon 19mm rear. Many others report the same findings (thread by Jerry perhaps less than a year ago in PF). I've always been told the early 960s are dead nuts identical to the 940s insofar as front sways and many other items. I think it's 96+ that might be different.

BEWARE of bent "used" IPD sways..... I got a rear bar from a junkyard car in AZ. If you still have your stocker 24mm front bar, let's see a picture of them side by side.

Last thing - I was taught from the Herb Adams suspension guide, that front sways should be "neutral" installed at ride height. With the Cloud on front stands, loosen those front sway links, and then sneak up on either side of the bar with the adjustment nuts. Are your end links adjustable or fixed? I think there are at least 2 type used on the 9 series. I run some MVP adjustables.... pics should be in my build somewhere.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Well - the reason I'm wanting to switch back to an OE bar is because while it works fine it seems when all four wheels are on the ground, the tires rub on the bar when turned all the way, and the oil filter is inaccessible. Here's my original 21mm bar:

And the IPD bar I installed:

As you can see the iPD bar sticks out further in the front, and that's what's hitting the engine block and blocking access to the filter when the car is up in the air. Does anyone here know if IPD ever made a bar that fit 960's properly? I see they've started producing them again, but the site still says it is incompatible with my car specifically.

So yeah - main questions is, will the car handle much differently going from 25mm in the front and 25 in the rear, to 23mm in the front and 25 in the rear? Will I notice much at all?

Thanks guys!
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Janspeed
Board Member

i think the car will handle noticeably different but only when driving on the limit or on slippery surface. Remember that going from a stock bar to an IPD bar is very noticeable so going back the other way will also be very noticeable. Specially when you keep the rear IPD bar.
the car will lift the inner rear wheel earlier when rounding a sharp corner. This could result in earlier oversteer. (back-end losing grip)

the thing with s/bars is that they are a matched set and they provide a balance. (OEM chassis developers most often make a concious design choice to have a balance that favors understeer, just because it is the safest setup for avaridge skilled drivers)
if you change 1 s/bar that balance will change as well, it depends on what kind of change you made if that change is for the better or worse.

Last edited by Janspeed; 11-14-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
lummert
Board Member

If changing back to the front 24 mm bar you still have the option of a 19 mm rear bar.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Thanks guys!

Since I only do day to day driving and generally max 80 on the highway, will the bigger back sway still be safe? Or should I get he 19 rear? (Keep in mind for the first 20 years my car had no sway at in the back and would fish tail a lot in the rain)

I feel going from 25 to 19 in the back is going to be a massive change if I do that...
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
If changing back to the front 24 mm bar you still have the option of a 19 mm rear bar.
The 19mm rear bar actually gives the rear suspension the chance to "articulate".... and work.

While the 25/25 might create nice drift machines, for all purpose (and surface) driving, I'll always vote for a 19mm rear bar with a 24/25 front. TB voice of experience/urban legend says that a difference of 5mm F to R is the right ratio for brick RWD performance.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
The 19mm rear bar actually gives the rear suspension the chance to "articulate".... and work.

While the 25/25 might create nice drift machines, for all purpose (and surface) driving, I'll always vote for a 19mm rear bar with a 24/25 front. TB voice of experience/urban legend says that a difference of 5mm F to R is the right ratio for brick RWD performance.
I'm also running 24mm/19mm f/r.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
impolvo
Is always busy

I've got a 25 rear 19 front
Super fun and can pass myself whenever I want
Thats why you get a mans car... A 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidponymilk View Post
You people keep crushing them, you're going to run out eventually.
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote