home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

View Poll Results: What motor mounts would you use that's available today
Genuine volvo quality new old stock that's been sitting on a shelf for 25+ years 6 42.86%
New genuine volvo available today but not made like the good old days 2 14.29%
New aftermarket available today, your pick 3 21.43%
New Diesel motor mounts, genuine or aftermarket 5 35.71%
Poly mounts 2 14.29%
Other, then state what it is 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
Brick15
Board Member

Default motor mount rubber shelf life

There are not too many options these days with good motor mounts. For this thread I'm referring to a 240 but any other model older than 20 years would be included. I'm curious where most stand on this subject so I'm adding a poll and maybe keep things simple.

My choice would have been the nos genuine Volvo sitting for 25 years but I am highly concerned about the rubber shelf life, I don't know to much about it. Any rubber info helps.

You can choose more than one. Your name will be shown when you select a choice.

Last edited by Brick15; 11-15-2017 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: added
Brick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #2
Cwazywazy
Board Member

I'd say go with diesel mounts or cheap ones with a third mount. Poly if you like vibrations.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Rubber degrades in the presence of heat, oil, oxygen and I believe ozone. I wouldn't
Fear usage of NOS stock. I think the diesel mounts have all but dried up. I set up a search on eBay for NOS mounts and found some made in Sweden units for good prices. The last 240 set I bought was the IPD heavy duty variety, now in my son's Turbo 245. The driver side will carry the tension load so you can run the "strap" if you are making high torque.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
GTJordan
Been here for too long

From Volvo- only one side of the diesel mounts is still available. (I think the drivers side is available, but the passenger side is NLA, but I can't remember exactly).

Jordan
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
dl242gt
Can play the blues

To see what is available if I can't find it in the US. I check gcp.se, cvi.se, and skandix.com. Usually that will show you what is available across the pond. As far as new stuff. NOS is just a constant search until you find it or not.

Personally I like to use the diesel mounts on all my 240s but the last time I put on brand new genuine mounts the left one failed after only a few years. The plate cam off the rubber. I have a stock one on there now and the right side is still a diesel mount.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote