home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #276
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I thought about limiting straps. The factory used the shocks to keep the springs in, though, right? Also, it seems like short shocks are designed with a shorter stroke to match the shorter suspension travel. If I just compress stock length shocks, then they are always riding low in their stroke. Not sure how this would affect damping, but it could?
For sure go with short shocks to put the piston in the "sweet spot" of the stroke, but we are in the business of making these cars better right?

I'd go with straps, sure, the factory got away with putting the full weight of the rear on a set of $30 shocks, but I would protect my investment and go with some cheap-ish straps from Summit.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #277
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
For sure go with short shocks to put the piston in the "sweet spot" of the stroke, but we are in the business of making these cars better right?

I'd go with straps, sure, the factory got away with putting the full weight of the rear on a set of $30 shocks, but I would protect my investment and go with some cheap-ish straps from Summit.
Ah, I get it.
Tfrasca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #278
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
I bought a 3/8" plate and cut the flange out:

Did you have a machine cut the flange? Do you have a file for that?
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #279
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Did you have a machine cut the flange? Do you have a file for that?
I wish. I cut it on a bandsaw and drill the holes with a drill press. Took forever.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #280
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
I wish. I cut it on a bandsaw and drill the holes with a drill press. Took forever.
Haha, I had this suspicion you were going to say that I love that you did things your way throughout this car, instead of buying, you built. Respect.
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #281
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Haha, I had this suspicion you were going to say that I love that you did things your way throughout this car, instead of buying, you built. Respect.
Thanks for that. There is an 8v intake flange file around, though. I was going to have it water jet but it ended up being really pricey. PM your email and I can send the file to you.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #282
Tfrasca
Board Member

I keep telling myself that eventually I'll be able to enjoy this car for more than a week at a time. I think that might be wishful thinking.

I was driving around town yesterday, when my center console filled with coolant. Neat. Heater core is done, and the car is apart again:

In the above picture you can also see some missing gauges. That's because I got a full set of SpeedHut gauges with a GPS speedo the other day. It'll take some work to fit them, but I think it'll end up being pretty sweet. Visually, they are nowhere near as cool as the GT gauges, but at least they'll work.

Before the heater core, I had a local shop weld up a 3" exhaust with these Magnaflows:

They mounted the tailpipe section with basically a solid mount to the body, so there's a bit of drone/vibration. I'll need to address that at some point. Overall, it sounds great. Kind of loud at idle, but pretty quiet when driving, even on hard acceleration.

That's it for now. Hopefully the heater core goes smoothly and I can get the gauges dialed in. Then I'll replace all the front engine seals that are leaking. Then T5.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #283
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
I keep telling myself that eventually I'll be able to enjoy this car for more than a week at a time. I think that might be wishful thinking.
Haha. I always feel that way. I'm always nervous about starting the next phase in fear that I won't be able to get the car on the road for forever. Love your project. There has to be an end someday, right?
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #284
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
Haha. I always feel that way. I'm always nervous about starting the next phase in fear that I won't be able to get the car on the road for forever. Love your project. There has to be an end someday, right?
Exactly. I'm just afraid the eventual end is when I just lose interest entirely. I got really into fixing up my CB550 a couple years ago, dumped a bunch of money and time into it, and now it sits next the the Volvo in the rain and never gets ridden.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #285
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

What are the p/n's for those mufflers?
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #286
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
What are the p/n's for those mufflers?
MagnaFlow 14719 Exhaust Muffler

MagnaFlow 12867 Exhaust Muffler
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #287
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Are those in the same order as the photo? 14719 on top and 12867 on bottom?
oemoilleaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #288
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemoilleaks View Post
Are those in the same order as the photo? 14719 on top and 12867 on bottom?
Opposite. 14719 is the 7" and 12867 is the 5".
Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #289
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Nice ride! Will be interested to hear your feedback on the gauges. Wanting to do the same on my 245- GPS speedo particularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

I don’t know how to respond.
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #290
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceEngineered View Post
Nice ride! Will be interested to hear your feedback on the gauges. Wanting to do the same on my 245- GPS speedo particularly.
Thanks. I have the gauges installed. and everything is wired except the fuel sender. My sender is in bad shape anyway, so I'm in no hurry for that until I find a new sender.

Hopefully I'll have the new heater core and valve in this week and I can get some impressions on the gauges.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #291
cwdodson88
Board Member

In for impressions on that speedometer as well. I'm hoping that it works out, my tablet gps speedo konked out a couple weeks ago and resulted in my first speeding ticket ever. I'm hoping that a promise to the judge that the car won't leave the garage til it's fixed might lighten the blow, but who knows.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #292
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Opposite. 14719 is the 7" and 12867 is the 5".

Awesome! Thank you!. I just found a sizable hole in my 7" and was looking for a replacement.
oemoilleaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #293
Tfrasca
Board Member

The engine bay is starting to look pretty good. The longer I have it, the blacker things get:

Had the intercooler pipes, pulleys, and valve cover powder coated:

I also really must have wanted black bolts, because I got these stainless allens black oxide coated:

Rigged up this TINY Denso style alternator. 75 amps ought to be good enough:

Also, I think we should appreciate Noah's handy work here. Also shown is the helper spring to alleviate the way-too-light pedal:

Here are those Speedhut gauges:

The GPS takes longer than it should to acquire signal. I need to figure out if it's my antenna placement or what. I hooked up a hot wire so it's got constant power. That's supposed to help it pick up GPS quicker, but it still takes up to a minute. Once it links, it seems accurate.

I was able to run the dimmer in the same spot as the stock one, so that's cool. It's weird that the needles are on a separate circuit than the backlit faces, and you can't dim them. The needles are needlessly bright, IMO.

They also stay where they were when you cut power. This is kind of annoying, as the tach will say 900 rpm after you've turned the car off. Not sure why they chose to do that.

I also replaced the heater core, installed a NOS heater valve (thanks, Ian!), and replaced all the front engine seals with genuine Volvo ones. But that stuff doesn't really warrant a photo.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #294
cwdodson88
Board Member

Looks great! I'm still on the fence about the gps speedometer, my drive to work has a few tight spots where even my phone agps speedometer hangs for a 1/4 mile stretch. It probably wouldn't bother me except that's right where the passing lane starts and exactly where I got popped for speeding. So keep and eye on it when you get into some tight canyon twistys.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #295
Tfrasca
Board Member

Thanks!

I'll get some more time with the GPD speedo this weekend. I'll get up into the hills and let you know how it deals with the redwood canopy. I also want to mess around with the 0-60 and 1/4 mile timers that are built in. Seems like a good way to have some fun and/or break something.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #296
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Amazing work as always. You attention to detail is spot on!

Thanks,
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #297
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

so clean!! great work.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #298
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Looks great! I'm still on the fence about the gps speedometer, my drive to work has a few tight spots where even my phone agps speedometer hangs for a 1/4 mile stretch. It probably wouldn't bother me except that's right where the passing lane starts and exactly where I got popped for speeding. So keep and eye on it when you get into some tight canyon twistys.
So I got some more driving in this weekend, and I saw the speedo drop out once. It was on a mountain road with fairly dense Eucalyptus trees, but I honestly didn't think it should have had an issue there. I didn't get a chance to get into the redwoods, but I'm pretty sure it will have even more trouble. I mounted the antenna box at the base of my driver's side a pillar, which seemed like a good enough spot. I may try just centering it on the front of the dash next.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #299
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post
Amazing work as always. You attention to detail is spot on!

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
so clean!! great work.
Thanks, guys. For a while there I was starting to enjoy polishing bolts and making brackets more than actually driving the the car...

I think that pendulum is finally starting to swing the other way!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #300
toms_elleck
Board Member

Best car on Turbobricks right now.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote