home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
bobxyz
Board Member

Default Do spare tires need replacement?

Months ago, I saw a 940 in the salvage yard with front end damage and a blown-out mini/high-pressure spare on the front left. The front end damage looked like it came from a guard rail/concrete barrier but the damage didn't quite make it all the way to the wheel well. I'm guessing the tire blew first and caused the accident (bummer, flat tire and then later boom+crunch). So, how do I tell if my high-pressure mini-spare needs replacement? I'm guessing it's original.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Just get a full size spare.
Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
esmth
dirty swede

If the rubber is more than 10 years old i'd replace it just in case, but that's me. Like Cwazywazy said I just keep one of the full size 14" steelies as a spare
Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
Tuff240
240 Ninja

I've seen several of the 7/9 series space saver spare tires seperate. Even while just being stored.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
hiperfauto
Board Member

This article @ Tire Rack suggests 10 years max and 6 years for unused tires since "environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process".
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
aendrody
Just gonna send it

About 80% of the 7/9 space savers I’ve seen are rotted, including my personal one.
aendrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
lverhagen
negahrevl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Just get a full size spare.
This

I have acquired a fifth matching wheel for each of my cars. One day when I have money (heh), Iíll install 5 matching tires and do a 5 wheel rotation like on a Jeep.

7/900 Parts for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Restore this thread to stock.
Current Cars:
1987 Volvo 740 Sedan ~174k - ultra-swag beater/lender status (aiming for stage -1 at best)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan ~176k - bringing up to stage zero and beyond
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
brickyard92
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aendrody View Post
About 80% of the 7/9 space savers Iíve seen are rotted, including my personal one.
I had the unfortunate experience two yrs ago when i had a flat.My spare in my wagon was the original,and it was rotten and flat. Get a wheel from the JY and get a full size tire. It fits perfectly in my wagon.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
I've seen several of the 7/9 series space saver spare tires seperate. Even while just being stored.
This. They all do it. I've had about 40 of them that were separating having never been in daylight since the car was built. They are built by Firestone and every single one of them is a ticking time bomb.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
coalminer
Board Member

When I bought my 94 model 940 a few years back, I check the spare (Donut) and it had exploded inside the trunk.....not from use, just from age I suppose.
I always swap the donut spare for a regular size street tire, so it wasn't a problem.
I have a lot of spare rims.

I know that it exploded inside the spare tire well because there were pieces of rubber all around it.
The one and only time I've seen this.

So yes.....the spares can fail with or without use.
coalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
thismachine13
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
This. They all do it. I've had about 40 of them that were separating having never been in daylight since the car was built. They are built by Firestone and every single one of them is a ticking time bomb.
Good to know. This is one of those things that will bite me in the azz one day when I'm faced with a flat.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
dytha99
Board Member

I guess I'll be taking that firestone time bomb outta the trunk....tire looks brand new but I'll defer to those more experienced than I.
Posted via Mobile Device
dytha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
940wagon
Board Member

A 945t of mine came with what looks like the factory donut spare. Still holds air to this day, even after sitting in a barn for 2 years installed on a project car. I would never trust one of those things driving on the road, but I keep them for spares if the car needs to sit for awhile. Full size spare is just too cheap to not have. I shudder everytime I see a car on a tiny little donut wheel driving down the freeway...
940wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I got stabbed by my failed space saver spare tire. The tread had separated and I had to reach by it to grab something and I touched the steel belt sticking out by accident. I think I want some compensation from Firestone for these dangerous failures.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Tires should be taken out of service once they reach the ten year mark, eight years if it's a trailer or spare tire.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
thismachine13
Board Member

So do the later model Volvos use the same lug pattern as my '89 245? Thinking of grabbing the donut spare from a late model car at the PNP.

Last edited by thismachine13; 11-08-2017 at 11:14 AM..
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
57plymouth
Board Member

The space saver spare in my car popped one day when I was in the car. I have a wagon, so it was especially loud. I think age, plus being properly inflated, plus baking in the heat here in South Carolina made it dry rot and fail. I put a standard steel wheel with a decent tire in there as a spare.

I also replaced the space saver with a full size steel wheel in my wife's Crown Vic after the tire failed in my car. It was another junkyard special but it has a newer tire on it. Just to be safe you know.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismachine13 View Post
So do the later model Volvos use the same lug pattern as my '89 245? Thinking of grabbing the donut spare from a late model car at the PNP.
A full sized tire and wheel will fit in the spare tire compartment. Get a RWD steelie or alloy - I snagged one with a tire in good condition out of the PNP. If you match sizes with your other wheels/tires you don't even have to limp after changing a flat.
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
VolvoEmpire
Board Member

Just keep it at full pressure until it explodes in the trunk during the next heat wave.
VolvoEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
Tfrasca
Board Member

I've been meaning to replace the original spare in my '68 142. I'm sure I won't, and that'll be what eventually totals it.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #21
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

My spare in the 92 9 series once inflated to "spec" began to separate in the tread...whilst in the trunk! Folks, as a representative from the Tire Industry, I can tell you that's TOO DAMN LONG to count on ANY spare tire.

Since I run FWD rims on my DD with appropriate 25mm spacers, I just picked up a C series spare from a late 2000 vehicle. 17 inch rim which clears my brake upgrade..... and the Michelin tire still has vents on it (never seen pavement). I believe they charged me $12 from the local Pullapart. All that, and it fits nicely in the spare well. Junk those old spares!

A public service message from TOYO & NITTO Tires

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
dl242gt
Can play the blues

The Volvo space saver spares were made by Firestone years before and years during the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire debacle. I'm sure they didn't build Volvo spare tires with any more quality than the tires they were selling to Ford.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Yeah, I went to fill my 92 original space saver spare and it had shredded it self apart. I had no idea at the mesh inside of those things could be so sharp!

Found another one at the junk yard for now.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #24
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Yes those damn steel belts are sharp! Thankfully I don't recall any Volvo that had Firestone tires from the factory. Just those spares.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #25
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
Yeah, I went to fill my 92 original space saver spare and it had shredded it self apart. I had no idea at the mesh inside of those things could be so sharp!

Found another one at the junk yard for now.
Find a pizza cutter in the JY that's not expired and put it on the wheel.

Michelin says 10 years and the other manufacturers say less but they don't agree so they do nothing.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote