home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Mr. V
Board Member

Default 244 clutch adjustment problem

'82 244 Turbo with OEM clutch cable, replacement Sachs clutch some time ago.

Trying to adjust it so the pick up point is midway in pedal travel, but it always seems to pickup at the very bottom of the pedal, not up higher.

Tried loosening the barrel adjuster (thus shortening the cable) but I soon run out of free play.

Frustrating.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

My turbo never had an issue with this but my wagon releases close to the floor. I adjusted the cable so there is very minimum free play of like 1mm at the release arm and then installed a return spring like the older cars used. Seemed to help a bit.

The release arm can bend over the years and I'm thinking this may the the issue with the wagon. I forgot to check it last time I did the clutch. When I watch the operation of the release arm it starts from the middle of the opening to move the clutch. Next clutch job I will address this. Hopefully it will last awhile till I need to do it. lol. Also check the pedal for wear where the cable attaches.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

On my 1987 740, the clutch pedal grab kept getting lower and lower. I’d adjust it up, and over a week or two it’d start dropping again. Finally the bracket that holds the clutch cable at the firewall inside the engine bay bent, and put a fist sized hole in the firewall. I had to make a bracket that was larger than the hole. Might be worth checking where the cable enters the engine bay
Wesdunns70t5m is offline   Reply With Quote