• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear muffler, how low?

NONHOG

equal opportunity car guy
Building the exhaust on the 80 Bertone and I tend to overdo the tuck the exhaust up tight plan.
How far from the heat shield is the rear muffler typically? Looks like it hangs down further than one would think. Judging from the before picture I took.

I thought about having it about an inch from the shield but then its so high up figuring hangers would be a pain.

Hard to get a feel for this lying on a creeper. LOL
Ideas or suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• bertone oem muffler.jpg
    bertone oem muffler.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 167
  • saturday 40.jpg
    saturday 40.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 167
The exhaust guys use the 'one finger rule' for clearance when possible, a pinky minimum.

That is what I've been going by 3/4" clearance. But doing that with the rear muffler leaves it so high I can't use the factory hangers. The pipes run up into the hanger. Probably due to the Super Turbo being oval and the factory being round. I hate to drop the muffler too much then it'll be tougher to run the pipe. Argh, my brain hurts!

Use some rod or metal and a bolt, or just cut a couple inches out of the old factory hangars.

Waiting for paint to dry on this one

20150201_212240_zps3rbbmcad.jpg

As I recall, the stock muffler hangs down quite a bit. I made a valance out of the louvered panel the wagons have back there - to hide the muffler. As mentioned above - a finger's width will do as long as heat shields are where you need them and the system is properly hung/isolated. Below are when I was mocking mine up - so I hadn't put the heat shield back in place yet. It's a tight fit all around. No heat problems, no rattles or contact. I couldn't use the stock hangers -- my big-ass muffler would've been way too low.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back